How clean does a new kit have to be?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
My starter wine equipment kit finally came and and I'm wondering if I can just rinse and sanitize it, when I go to use it. Everything being new, I'm thinking I don't really need to wash it. Am I wrong? Should I mix up some PBW and take a sponge to it, or can I use use some K-Meta or StarSan and just Sanitize it?

Thanks!

When I got all my 'stuff', I used hot soapy water to clean it, then did a thorough StarSan bath of each component just prior to use. I also dunked my hands in the StarSan just to be sure. Down the road now almost two years, I still do the StarSan thing and have not had any issues.

Why risk it? Spend 15 - 20 minutes and be certain.

If new is clean, why wash it? Especially since I'll probably have to do it in the bath tub to not make a mess.. Plus, how in the world am I suppose to wash the inside of a carboy? I did pick up a brush, but it's just a thin wire handle with plastic bristles... I really don't know if this carboy brush will work...

If new is clean, why wash it? Especially since I'll probably have to do it in the bath tub to not make a mess.. Plus, how in the world am I suppose to wash the inside of a carboy? I did pick up a brush, but it's just a thin wire handle with plastic bristles... I really don't know if this carboy brush will work...

Early on I invested in a Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer. Can be purchased on Amazon or most any HBS, both local and online. Works great!

Invest now!!! https://www.morebeer.com/products/carboy-cleaner.html

That's the problem.. I'm neck deep in investment already.. Just in equipment (beer and wine), I'm over $700 in to this and I haven't made a drop of anything.

I do have one of those brushes on that thin wire, but when I look at it, I'm like, how much of the inside of a carboy will that reach? The link you provided looks like a degasser.. Maybe I should just soak every thing in a bleach solution, then rinse it out a few times to make sure all the bleach is removed?

For carboy cleaning, you may want to consider this brush. I bought it on the recommendation of Daniel (Don't call me Dan) Pambianachi. Cost is very reasonable at about $21 USD. Use with OxyClean Free.

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Brush-...=carboy+brush&qid=1568296008&s=kitchen&sr=1-6

You want to really, really, really reconsider the use of bleach anywhere near winemaking equipment. The standard wisdom is that bleach can lead to cork taint, which is a horrible thing. I don't let any bleach in the house, much less near the winemaking area. There are many opinions on this topic, not trying to start a war about it, just warning.

For carboy cleaning, you may want to consider this brush. I bought it on the recommendation of Daniel (Don't call me Dan) Pambianachi. Cost is very reasonable at about $21 USD. Use with OxyClean Free.

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Brush-...=carboy+brush&qid=1568296008&s=kitchen&sr=1-6

You want to really, really, really reconsider the use of bleach anywhere near winemaking equipment. The standard wisdom is that bleach can lead to cork taint, which is a horrible thing. I don't let any bleach in the house, much less near the winemaking area. There are many opinions on this topic, not trying to start a war about it, just warning.

Now that brush looks like it might do something.. I guess I better order it now..

I've heard that about bleach, but my thinking was that rinsing and allowing the equipment to completely dry, all the chlorine would dissipate. I guess being new, I better stay with the wisdom and just stay clear of it.

Thanks!

Now that brush looks like it might do something.. I guess I better order it now..

I've heard that about bleach, but my thinking was that rinsing and allowing the equipment to completely dry, all the chlorine would dissipate. I guess being new, I better stay with the wisdom and just stay clear of it.

Thanks!

The brushes that @cmason1957 showed you and the one I posted work similarly. Attach them to a drill, put some cleaning solution and water in the carboy, insert the brush down into the vessel and activate the drill. The cleaning brushes spin around, contacting the bottom and sides of the carboy, you just work them up and down to contact all of the surfaces. Takes just a couple of minutes to do a carboy and they do a great job. Simple withdraw the brush, rinse the carboy our well, and you're clean as a whistle. You can use most any cleaner, but steer clear of anything with bleach in it. Try oxy-clean, PBW, B-Brite, those cleaners are sold by most LHBS as well as online wine supply sites.

I've heard that about bleach, but my thinking was that rinsing and allowing the equipment to completely dry, all the chlorine would dissipate.

The problem is that the compounds responsible for cork taint are detectable at the ppt level. That's parts per trillion. So dissipating "all the chlorine" is a tough standard!

Most new products receive various coatings as part of their production. Many are protective (Oils to stop rust) and you don't know what environments the product may have through on it's way to you. Imported items may even have had their boxes sprayed at port facilities to prevent invasive species of bugs, bacteria etc. (Boxes are not not a protection from those sprays or other critters of various types.

Honestly general cleaning of new equipment is just a good health practice.

And regardless of what soap varieties you use - Rinse rinse and rinse again. Let it dry or sanitize and move on.

By the way - has anyone tried adapting one of those synthetic 'loofa' brushes for cleaning a carboy? They are just a mesh material wadded together and if it's attached to a long enough handle it should be a good scrubber. Just not sure how it will react to StarSan solution. Anyway I'm going to look into that today at the local wally world store. Something like these:

8bca4d05-5ca2-4c45-af57-627c60a4e730_1.2ea6d81e8875f1fd5618ae23c0ebc788.jpeg

I have some old arrows without the fletching and screw on points. Adapting these to that arrow shaft will give me a long enough 'handle' to reach the deepest corner of a carboy. If it wears out... at $6.00 for 4 of them...

My wife calls these scrungies. Attached to a flexible Plastic or nylon rod, these would great. I use the long plastic adjustment handles off old miniblinds as stir sticks so an attachment would be easy and these things compress really well. An idea anyway.
:h

Well these certainly won't scratch the glass. I think I might just put one in a glass of Starsan overnight to see the results, but; if they are just used for washing with soap as once clean they aren't needed for sanitizing really.

By the way - has anyone tried adapting one of those synthetic 'loofa' brushes for cleaning a carboy? They are just a mesh material wadded together and if it's attached to a long enough handle it should be a good scrubber. Just not sure how it will react to StarSan solution. Anyway I'm going to look into that today at the local wally world store. Something like these:

8bca4d05-5ca2-4c45-af57-627c60a4e730_1.2ea6d81e8875f1fd5618ae23c0ebc788.jpeg

I have some old arrows without the fletching and screw on points. Adapting these to that arrow shaft will give me a long enough 'handle' to reach the deepest corner of a carboy. If it wears out... at $6.00 for 4 of them...

I wonder if these might be safe for a plastic carboy. I haven't seen many things for cleaning the inside of them and have pretty much stopped using them, since I now have an all-in-one-wine-pump.

Well I just picked up a couple at Walm... for a $1.00 each very very soft feeling so... Think they just might do the job. Unfortunately they put them in a different bag than something else I bought - which I discovered at home... so back to town I go.....

I will you know how they work.

Latest posts

Back