How best to clear & settle champagne yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuker

Junior
Reaction score
I use champagne yeast in my own recipe to make 'Champagne Beer'.
I'm pleased with the results (beer that acts like & tastes of champagne!).
My one problem is that, using my usual gelatin finings, I can clear the beer, but the slightest movement of the matured bottle sends clouds of yeast back up into the matured beer. Opening the bottle has the same effect.

What fining agent(s) can I use that will not only clear the beer but also "cake" the yeast on the bottom of the bottle so that it is less mobile when opening & pouring?

(I'm aware that this is a question about beer, but the real issue is the behaviour of the wine (in this case, champagne) yeast, which is why I 've posted it here).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

use a champagne cork. After bottling, store the bottles upside down. After a few weeks the sediment should be in the hollow space of the champagne cork.
A lot of vintners freeze the neck of the bottle and disgorge the cork removing the sediment and recorking quickly. Others sterile filter and then force carbonate using a keg/tank and CO2 tank.

If you're looking for clear beer, the force carbonation method could be right for you.

I use champagne yeast in my own recipe to make 'Champagne Beer'.
I'm pleased with the results (beer that acts like & tastes of champagne!).
My one problem is that, using my usual gelatin finings, I can clear the beer, but the slightest movement of the matured bottle sends clouds of yeast back up into the matured beer. Opening the bottle has the same effect.

What fining agent(s) can I use that will not only clear the beer but also "cake" the yeast on the bottom of the bottle so that it is less mobile when opening & pouring?

(I'm aware that this is a question about beer, but the real issue is the behaviour of the wine (in this case, champagne) yeast, which is why I 've posted it here).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

Have you used polyclar?
gelatin should work are you dissolving it in boiling water or just adding?

Has anyone else tried this? I have a batch going now.

I read an article in Winemaker magazine. They suggest using micro porous tubing (designed for use in kidney dialysis).

This system looks interesting. The Idea is that this (relatively inexpensive) tubing has pores that are too small for yeast to fit through.

You simply put a a packet of yeast using this tubing into your champagne, cap and wait 18 months. Instead of disgorging, you simply pull your cap off and extract the yeast packet.

In a nutshell, the method goes this way..

1) Cut tubing into 7 inch lengths. 1 for each bottle of champagne
2) boil the tubing for 10 minutes.

3) Prepare yeast solution - bloom champagne yeast for 1 hour in a mixture of water/wine/corn sugar

4) Add 24 grams of priming sugar to a clean champagne bottle.

5) Tie one end of tubing.
6) Using a syringe, insert 3 ccs of yeast solution into the tubing.
7) Tie the other end of the tubing

8) Rinse tubing and place into bottle.
9) Add still wine into champagne bottle

10) cap and wait 18 months.

Latest posts

Back