How are you checking SO2?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

Reaction score
How do we as amateur wine makers check for SO2 levels? I know just enough to know how important it is but not sure if it’s $300 - $800 important. Please advise!

Last edited:
How do we as amateur wine makers check for SO2 levels? I know just enough to know how it’s important it is but not sure if it’s $300 - $800 important. Please advise!

I use my Vinmetrica to check, as you note, it’s an investment not all need or want to make. I got by just fine in the early days just following the 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons every 3 months. Admittedly, that’s a tad heavy handed IMHO, but it’ll keep you safe on wines with pH values in the recommended range.

CBF2251D-A7D3-446C-8DCD-903693EDD491.jpeg I bought a vinemetrica 4 seasons ago and have made on average 5 different ferments each season from grapes, around 100-150 gallons. My thought was that I spend a lot of $ on grapes and if I ruined one batch, the meter would pay for itself. What really pushed me over the edge is the fact that the grapes in the Sierra Foothills are known for their ripeness and lack of acid. We routinely deal with 3.8-4.2 pH must/wine.

If the grapes I used came it at 3.5 pH, I may feel differently.

I use the titrets for now. Pack of 10 tests for less than $20. Not lab accurate but does the trick. And I round down when testing before an addition.
Those titrets combined with using the ph-so2 chart for targets and FermCalc for exact gram amounts to weigh out to add —I feel pretty confident about doing it this way until I make a larger investment.

I have used the More Wine Aeration Oxidation Kit for years with zero problems. Very accurate.

https://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

I never took notice of this test before. Completely new option to me. Do you still use it? The site says they can only legally supply enough phosphoric acid for 2-3 tests. I assume you have easy access for more. For us regular folk how cost effective is the phosphoric acid needed per test when bought locally avoiding the hazard fees and limited shipping amount allowed?

Yep, still my go to method for testing SO2. The kit comes with enough Phosphoric acid to do like 5 samples. The rest of the reagents are very cheap and plentiful. They (Morewine) do sell a one liter bottle of 25% Phosphoric Acid for like $75. Amazon sells 1 Liter of 85% Phosphoric acid for $25 plus $6.99 shipping. I make my own. It doesn't go bad. You need to dilute it down from 85% to 25% so that one liter will last a long time. You only use like 10ML per analysis IIRC. It has a little bit of a learning curve. They have really good videos on set up and endpoint detection. After a couple of test runs you can get your eye calibrated well.

I never took notice of this test before. Completely new option to me. Do you still use it? The site says they can only legally supply enough phosphoric acid for 2-3 tests. I assume you have easy access for more. For us regular folk how cost effective is the phosphoric acid needed per test when bought locally avoiding the hazard fees and limited shipping amount allowed?

Last edited:
Truth be told, despite having the ability to test whenever i feel like it, i don't test any of my wines for SO2 much at all. Wines in 6 G carboys get 1/4 tsp every 3-5 months, barrel wines get 1/8 tsp / 6 G every month or so. At bottling time i get more serious about it, testing and adding the proper amount based upon the pH, checking to see that the SO2 has hit the mark, then bottling.

I also use the A/O method and have local access to 85% phosphoric acid. You only use 10ml of 25% concentration, so not much acid is used per test.

Has anyone tried or considered "gas detection tubes" for s02 measurements? For under a $100 you can have everything needed, no chemicals involved and everything is reusable. There are tubes available in all sorts of ppm and % ranges. They were originally developed for quick detection in mining.

I've only been researching this for a few days, and considering ordering the items needed unless someone can find the holes in this approach. The tubes can be had for around $80 for 10, the syringes and other stuff are a few dollars each.

https://grapesandwine.cals.cornell....edu/files/shared/2015 Dlubac protocol SO2.pdf

https://grapesandwine.cals.cornell....ll.edu/files/shared/Research Focus 2015-4.pdf

http://www.zefon.com/store/gastec-sulphur-dioxide-detector-tubes.html

Truth be told, despite having the ability to test whenever i feel like it, i don't test any of my wines for SO2 much at all. Wines in 6 G carboys get 1/4 tsp every 3-5 months, barrel wines get 1/8 tsp / 6 G every month or so. At bottling time i get more serious about it, testing and adding the proper amount based upon the pH, checking to see that the SO2 has hit the mark, then bottling.

Even without tedious testing equipment I really don’t test often either. Usually early and later at bottling. And a rare re-test after an addition.
And then every once in a blue I’ll set aside an afternoon and run the gamut testing all vessels for everything. Would be nice to bang out most of those tests with 1 vinmetrica unit. I plan on getting one with that equipment kit. It seems to make all that testing a nice clean and organized process.

I looked at this test procedure a couple of years ago; it seems easy enough, but the tubes are priced a bit higher than what I would like to pay. Depending on the your sample so2 concentration, the tubes can be used for more than one test as long as you seal the ends between tests. For the time being, I'll stick to the A/O procedure.

Almost 3 years into this and I have had no problems of too much or too little, And even if you get a little heavy, it will dissipate as it's aged.

This is my answer as well, except I have been at this for about 6 years. Just can't convince myself that measuring that will make a significantly better end product. I just go with 1/2 tsp about every 5-6 months or every other racking. I read somewhere, I think it was from something Daniel Pambianachi wrote, that it is better to go higher on SO2, rather than lower more often.

Probably unnecessary but I do check mine regularly since I have the Vinmetrica. If I plan on bulk aging another 6 months or so I will add additional SO2 and to get it to 50-60 ppm since most of my wines are in the 3.3-3.5 range. However if you were interested into a Vinmetrica SC 100 call them. They offer reconditioned units for much less. You just have to be placed on a waiting list.

I've used the vinmetrica pretty regularly since moving to all grapes a couple of years ago. I can say that being able to dose the wine accurately based on the existing SO2 and ph almost never works out to 1/4tsp per carboy for me. Of course it's just one more tool but, like @NorCal, I've got grapes, some with a PH as high as 4+, that I'm adjusting very slowly as they age. I know without knowing the SO2 levels I probably would have some level of Oxidation to my 2016 and 2017 wines.
Mike

I complied this info from a couple places (don't remember them or I'd give credit) while doing some research into SO2 & how much pot. meta to use & when. There's a chart there that seems useful.

I don't test for SO2 either, but I'm just a hobbyist cellar dweller. :)

Attachments

• Potasium Metabisulphite.pdf
    158.8 KB · Views: 18
I complied this info from a couple places (don't remember them or I'd give credit) while doing some research into SO2 & how much pot. meta to use & when. There's a chart there that seems useful.

I don't test for SO2 either, but I'm just a hobbyist cellar dweller. :)

Yup. That chart and another are the 2 main charts utilized it seems like. I like that Accuvin gives ranges.
The Other is from the morewine so2 manual which is legit. Explains the chemistry and testing options. The A/O method is in there too, which I somehow overlooked countless times. The more I read about it the more I like it.
http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/so2.pdf
IMG_1113.jpg

Latest posts

Back