How and when to properly back sweeten wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
Doing a Cabernet Sauvignon Eclipse Kit and after sampling some Sauvignon I would prefer mine to be a little sweeter and not so dry. I bought wine conditioner to use as my sweetener. When should I add it into my wine?

I don't think I have ever heard of a sweet cab.

To each his own, I guess. Best way is to take a small measured wine sample and add a tiny amount of conditioner until it is sweet enough. Multiply the small amount of conditioner to get the total conditioner required. Go easy, because you cannot un-sweeten.

When should I add it into my wine?

I'm assuming the conditioner has both sorbate and sugar. Never used a conditioner since I sweeten and sorbate separately.

Regardless, you'd do the bench trial samples like @DoctorCAD said above and then dose your entire batch when you are satisfied. In terms of when, you'll want to do this right before bottling after the wine has cleared. Be sure you add sufficient sulfites too.

I would check the date (if there is one) of the conditioner. Have never used one but I hear that they are often sold as if they have a very long shelf life.

Back