How about the "hard stuff?"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As anyone who knows me is aware, I like wine with dinner and on social occasions. I prefer bold reds but I will drink a white with the appropriate foods.

However, my preferred drink, i.e. when I really need to unwind and relax after a hard day, is the hard stuff. My favorite is rye whiskey but I will drink bourbon if a good rye is not available. My all time favorite rye is "Angel's Envy" which is very hard to get here in central Ohio. I have never had a smoother rye and I enjoy the vanilla background it has. If I can find it here, it goes for about $100 per bottle or more, so for every day rye I enjoy Bulleit, George Dickel, Templeton and Woodbridge. I am not a fan of clear liquors, i.e. gin or vodka and I don't enjoy many blends.

This got me wondering, what are your favorite "hard stuffs?"

When I'm not drinking wine, I have a couple of "go-to" favorites depending upon the occasion.

In social type settings like cocktail parties, dinner out with family and friends, my choice is gin. Bombay Sapphire on the rocks with a couple of blue cheese stuffed olives to be exact. I won't have more than two of these in an evening (for obvious reasons), and only before dinner, NEVER after eating dinner, it only leads to bad things for me.

When we're up at our property, whether there for hunting or just enjoying time away from home, Crown Royal with Diet Sprite / 7-Up is standard fare. Mixed about 50/50 in a large tumbler with ice, it's the perfect evening drink for me while sitting out on the porch, looking over the lake, cooking dinner, watching football, etc.. Try to limit it to 2 per evening, but sometimes go a bit astray.......... We also keep a small stock of "sipping bourbons" up there as well, though it's more of a rarity for me.

I forgot about scotches. I enjoy a scotch on occasion and I prefer the darker scotches, i.e. those in clear bottles rather than green bottles. At home, I have Haig & Haig Pinch and Chevas for my scotch drinking friends.

A word about gin. Generally, I am a "happy drunk." When I drink over an evening, I get happy, jovial, friendly, etc. For some reason, when I have had gin, I get mean. That is one reason I avoid the clear stuff.

Lastly, my grandfather used to make grappa at the end of our wine making process. I was young but had a taste or two. I remember my father and uncles used to refer to it as "crappa." I would like to try to make some but (without violating the rules of the site) let me say I am not "process capable."

I keep bottle of Johnny Walker Blue around for when Im in the mood for something hard but that's not too often.

The go-to for me is Jameson. Easy to sip straight up with no rocks, widely available, consistent quality and flavor profile.

I bought a bottle of J. Seeds Apple Cider Whiskey recently on a lark. Only paid $15.95 for 750 ml! That stuff is very nice, as well. Smooth straight up and affordable. Much smoother than "apple pie" moonshines.

My all-time favorite "expensive" bourbon is Prichard's Double Barrel Bourbon, about $90 a bottle and smooth as silk straight. I have been present to see it beat Crown Royal in a blind taste test. Not only beat, but demolish. Prichard's is right up the road from my farm, but is available all over the place. A big niche hit in NYC, I'm told.

Prichard's also makes a liqueur called Sweet Lucy that is a fruit flavored whiskey. Smooth drinking. I have served it to friends from up North and had them go home and mercilessly badger their liquor store owners to stock it. One Yankee friend will simply drink nothing else now. It's that good.

I enjoy beer and bourbon. Have started to really enjoy an Old Fashioned over the last year or so.

Yeah, Jim. I went through the Irish Whiskey stage at one point with Bushmills' and Jameson's. I have a bottle of Jameson's in my stock and it must be 10 years old or more. I like Irish Whiskey a little more than scotch but not as much as rye or bourbon. As far as how to drink it, I drink everything neat or occasionally with ice. I'm an old "Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" and I "drink my whiskey clear!"

My son-in-law just bought me a bourbon, "Old Forester 1920" which is 115 proof and surprisingly smooth. I just made myself thirsty!100_1390.JPG

Yeah, Jim. I went through the Irish Whiskey stage at one point with Bushmills' and Jameson's. I have a bottle of Jameson's in my stock and it must be 10 years old or more. I like Irish Whiskey a little more than scotch but not as much as rye or bourbon. As far as how to drink it, I drink everything neat or occasionally with ice. I'm an old "Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" and I "drink my whiskey clear!"

My son-in-law just bought me a bourbon, "Old Forester 1920" which is 115 proof and surprisingly smooth. I just made myself thirsty!View attachment 57778

Jameson is definitely not a phase for me. There's always 1.75 liters in the cabinet, though everything else comes and goes. Neat's the way to go, as far as I am concerned.

If you can find it, the Prichard's Double Barrel might be a good tasting for you.

https://prichardsdistillery.com/whiskies.html

Jameson is definitely not a phase for me. There's always 1.75 liters in the cabinet, though everything else comes and goes. Neat's the way to go, as far as I am concerned.

If you can find it, the Prichard's Double Barrel might be a good tasting for you.

https://prichardsdistillery.com/whiskies.html

My go-to is either: A.) A double Jameson on the rocks; or B.) A shot of Jameson with a Yuengling Lager chaser. Delicious.

Anyone here a Pappy fan?

141202-felten-van-winkle-tease_hcjlzl

Kinda my thoughts as well. I don't think I have the discerning bourbon palette to warrant Pappy but it was nice to try a few years back.

Kinda my thoughts as well. I don't think I have the discerning bourbon palette to warrant Pappy but it was nice to try a few years back.

I'd put my bourbon palette in the same category. It's pretty easy to taste the difference in smoothness, especially between vastly different qualities. When you get to the top stuff, I have a hard time. If I'm drinking bourbon, just as soon have a big old tumbler of Crown -n- Seven..............

LOL Yea give me Jack and diet coke with lime and I am pretty happy on those nights........ Our SIL out in SOCAL is a the bourbon aficionado. I get to sample some nice stuff every now and then.

Except for an occasional shot or 2 of tequila the only thing I drink straight is scotch and I really don't drink it enough to have a preference. The only preference I have is placing it in the freezer prior to drinking it. Rum is my favorite to mix, you can't beat a good rum runner, although a margarita is probably what I drink the most of next to wine. When I still had the boat people would go out of their way to come aboard or hang out on the swim platform for one of my Pina Coladas or banana daiquiris.

My go-to is Forty Creek whisky, usually with Pepsi, or just on the rocks. Its got a well balanced price and a decent palate.

I really like crown apple, peach, and salted caramel. Also fond of jack honey. And 360 vodka double chocolate (this stuff is dangerous for someone who has a chocolate addiction. Lol

Back