How about Orange Blossom wine??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I was reading the threads about the rose petal wine and got to thinking.
The smell while riding past an orange grove in full bloom is just unbelievable.
Do you think you can do the same thing with orange blossom petals and make a wine?

My, that sounds like it would work pretty well. It may take quite a few. When I did my wild rose petals, I used 1 gallon petals per gallon of wine, but I also augmented it with white grape juice and golden raisins. Remeber though, and I think I'm right about the oranges, the blossoms make the fruit, so if you use the blossoms...well I think you get what I mean. I picked about 6 gallons of petals, and sure enough, not one rose hip appeared where the blossoms were. So by my taking the flowers,it may have prevented the actually fruit from producing. Anyone have a take on that?

Aside from that Orange blossom wine sounds pretty good. Johnny Cash sung a song about it in fact. "The Orange Blossom Special". LOL:D
Troy

I have a recipe for feijoa blossom wine and it suggests that if you are careful and take the petals without pulling the entire flowerhead off.. that you will still get fruit if a bee was there before you took the petals..

untested theory of course.. I don't have the patience to stand there removing the petals.

I suppose if you have orange trees that need thinning for good size fruit yield, then you have the best of both worlds..

Allie

This area of the state has a lot of groves. I think that you are correct, one the bee has pollinated the flower, then the fruit still makes.
I've seen times when the blossom fall off on their own and the ground is almost covered with them.
Perhaps if I time it just right, I could just shake a branch with a net under it.

Latest posts

Back