Houston, we have a problem?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I am pretty certain I have a stuck fermentation... the level you see below is where it has been at more or less since Thursday... Shoot! Now, those of you who followed my other recent post on yeast know that I had a bit of a shortage of yeast. I didn't buy as much as recommended on the package but a few of you assured me I had enough..

We've had record breaking heat here (90 F this weekend and mid 80s all week) so it's been very warm... maybe too warm? I ptiched my yeast last saturday night and it started fermenting on sunday.. So one full week of fermentation and still I am below 1.000 - I don't know what I should do..

I used BM 4x4, added Go Ferm and Fermaid K as per direction... maybe I just didn't have enough yeast and nutrient? Is it possible that my SG could still drop?

I don't want to press until I reach zero sugar but I am also concerned about this heat... what about spoilage? The C02 seems to have really dissipated and active fermetnation seems to be almost nil...

IMG_2318.JPG

have you been stirring it daily and is it in an open container? Since this has only been since Thursday, I would give it a few more days to see if it is just fermenting and a very slow rate.

Bm4x4 has a tolerance of 28celcius (82 farenhiet) how hot do you think the must got? If it got too warm for too long may have had an impact on the yeast, it was a pretty short ferment, only 3 or 4 days, id try and cool it down a bit if its too warm and wait a few days. In the mean time id pull some must and use EC1118 and get a starter going incase fermentation doesnt start up, id press to see if i could release any extra sugars from the skins and pitch ec1118 starter to finish it off

Cap is pretty much done but grapes skins are still floating to surface.. seems like there's a very slight amount of fermanetation happening... small fizzle/bubbles... but ever so slight

I cannot control the temps.. it's in my garage... in an open food grade plastic barrel and i cover it with an old table clothe...

Toleranc eof 82F?? Wow... It exceeded that FOR SURE... I had no idea... we NEVER get weather like this in later Sept... I am in Toronto canada and I usually have to turn on a heater at this time of the year.. no one expect this heat... record breaking july heat.. 100 F with humidity..

I still have some Go Ferm and Fermaid K.. I have another yeast but not ECC118..

Should try it?

Yep, ill post the specs for bm4x4. I dont think all the yeast just stops working at that temp but coupled with low yeast count to begin with could very well be why fermentation stopped, EC1118 has a tolerance of 95f which is why i said to get a starter going with it now so if fermentation doesnt start up you could innoculate it with the 1118 to finish it up. Bm4x4 is on the lower end of must temps from what ive seen. Winemaker magazine has a yeast strain chart showing all the yeast strains with there tempature tolerances. Im in Canada,BC weve had record temps here too but i ferment in my wine room in the basement (65-70f) even at 70f i find my must temps can get up to 75f while fermenting. i used rc212 and i find i get h2s if i ferment any warmer than that. Whats the other yeast you have on hand? K1-1116 would be a good one as well to finish off a stuck fermentation, i havent used Monatrech before but i heard that is a strong yeast as well.

IMG_4025.PNG

Last edited:
Cant remember if you pitched and mlf bacteria or not but from what ive read it doesnt like to be too hot either, heres a chart for good mlf conditions.

IMG_3981.PNG

We use ice bottles to throw into must to cool it down, fill them 3/4 full and freeze. Then sanitize and put in the must at night pull them out rinse off and freeze again. You need to have enough for the bottles to freeze completely. https://www.acemart.com/beverage/bar-supplies/bar-backups/carlisle-ps70200-store-n-pour-1-2-gal-container-for-bar-backup/COPPS702

We now put 20 gallon primary inside 27 gallon tote to have ice bath around primary so we don't need to sanitize ice bottles and can re-use juice bottles.

TXWineDuo

P_20160817_200024.jpg

P_20170202_210918.jpg

Hey Smok1, the other yeast I have is ICVD254 - will this be ok? I don't have EC118 on hand but I guess I can get it tomorrow...

I have some nutrients too - What if I put it in and nothing happens and I am forced to press? Will the unused yeast that I just added create problem down the road? I am almost tempted to just press and just put up with a slightly sweater wine. I'd hate to lose $500 of must

Hey Smok1, the other yeast I have is ICVD254 - will this be ok? I don't have EC118 on hand but I guess I can get it tomorrow...

I have some nutrients too - What if I put it in and nothing happens and I am forced to press? Will the unused yeast that I just added create problem down the road? I am almost tempted to just press and just put up with a slightly sweater wine. I'd hate to lose $500 of must

Im no pro, just stating what i would do. Cooling down the must is a must if its too hot, if you pitched bm4x4 and you need Ec1118 to finish it off isnt a big deal, but at 4 days fermenting i wouldnt panic, like i said id start a starter batch of a strong yeast, ive never used d254, i know ec1118 and k1-1116 are strong, id start one of those in preperation. Ive read on here a 30 day ferment is ok, not my style but to each there own, i dont like a fast ferment as i have had one and taste like h2s, and i definitly wouldnt want to have a ferment take 30 days, i like seeing my ferment last 7-10 days.

Last edited:
Thanks... My ferment went really strong from Monday morning to Wednesday morning... then it quickly subsided... I think the heat did that. I just can't believe how hot is is this Sept here in S. Ont. We had a really wet and coolish summer... didn't expect this heat..

I will get some Ec118 and try to restart a fermentation but I will check my SG tonight to see if anything changed... maybe it's just really slow right now? Who knows but I think this heat really messed things up

thanks for your help

Nice, ive had some real luck making a starter by following hydration guidlines with goferm, 43c add goferm, 43-40c i add ec1118, then i add 30 cc (i have a big syringe) every hour into a big jar. I continue to add 30cc into the jar every other hour for 6 hours and then just let it feed on the sugars. If it looks like its getting too agressive then feed it more must, otherwise just keep it on hand, if u need it, pitch it in,

Have any of you pressed at more than 0 sugar? I think I'm at 1.007. My alcohol will be low (12% ish) and it will be slightly sweet... Maybe I will try it..

Siwash started a new thread with this issue. And is now closer to 1.002 and possibly feeding a yeast starter afterwards. The thread @cmason1957 you described the steps for a yeast starter yesterday.
Stuck fermentation update
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57909
I'm in a similar boat with 2 current batches and have been piggybacking along too.

Latest posts

Back