hose off or not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been spraying a lot this year. I see residue on the leaves and clusters. Is it a good idea to hose off the clusters a few days before harvest?? Nothing has been sprayed beyond it's label recommendation date. In fact the last sprays were organic types.

But, I still see residue and it wouldn't take much to hose off prior to cutting clusters.

We always have some rain between last spray and harvest. Even so, there is some residue on the leaves even at harvest. I rarely see any on the grapes however.

So I would say in your case it may depend on what you were spraying (for example, Serenade versus Bordeaux mix) and how much residue is actually there.

You don't generally need to spray anything after the grapes are in full color and rain should take care of the rest.

I watered today. Decided yes, I will hose off. The vineyard is along my very dusty driveway. No rain for nearly 3 months and I plowed the new gravel to the side leaving mostly dirt. Dust is rolling over everything. I need to get the dust off before harvest. Taste test today says some varieties, or least part of the crop, will be ready in about 2 weeks. The rest 3-4 weeks.

I've been spraying a lot this year. I see residue on the leaves and clusters. Is it a good idea to hose off the clusters a few days before harvest??

The last spray I do before harvest is ziram, and it tends to leave a white residue on the clusters if I spray a touch too thick. It does not wash off easily (most likely because those fungicides are designed to stick)

Some would say that applying water to the berries before harvest is a bad idea. Might lower your brix and induce fungal problems. I have not tried it, so I can't say.

I have adopted a policy of hand washing the worst clusters after harvest, but for the most part, I have put my faith in the pre harvest interval's that I obeyed through the summer. I don't wash the vast majority of my clusters

H

Latest posts

Back