Horseradish mead?

Discussion in 'Meads' started by BernardSmith, Jan 29, 2020.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 29, 2020 #1

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

Just curious if anyone on this forum has tried to make a horseradish mead or wine. I see that about 9 years ago someone referred to horseradish wine but no one seemed to take the idea seriously. The thing is that in Eastern Europe there is a long tradition of making horseradish infused vodka and by all accounts those who make it tend to let the horseradish sit in the vodka for only a few days, so I am wondering whether that might be the way to go for a horseradish mead (a traditional that is then used to extract flavors and character from the horseradish). I am thinking about making this as a drinking wine and not as a marinade or cooking wine: a "European" variation on a habanero mead Thoughts? Thanks

2. Jan 29, 2020 #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

I am in the don't take the idea seriously camp. I love horseradish on my still mooing Prime Rib, but not much beyond that.

BernardSmith likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2020 #3

franc1969

franc1969

franc1969

Interesting thought, but I would start with a finished bottle of mead and try an infusion first. I have some horseradish growing, maybe when I can harvest next year I will try that vodka idea.

BernardSmith likes this.
  4. Jan 29, 2020 #4

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

My plan is to start with a vodka infusion, not 750 ml! but perhaps 200. and if that meets my expectations I will create a sacrificial quart of mead and if that seems to work then I will go for a gallon.

5. Feb 7, 2020 #5

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

So, I added about 3 inches of horseradish - cleaned but not peeled and cut into 1/4 inch roundels to about 500 ml of vodka. I allowed the horseradish to steep for 4 days and then strained the vodka. The flavor is really good - if you like horseradish. I think that the flavor will mellow over the next few weeks but it is certainly already very drinkable, though I think I might remove the horseradish after 3 days next time I try to make a horseradish vodka. I am certainly going ahead with the idea of making a horseradish mead (if people can make mead with all kinds of hot peppers , horseradish is not chopped liver) but my plan is to add some of this schnapps to a sample of a traditional wildflower or clover mead, in the first instance, to see if I can balance the honey flavors with the sharpness of the radish and if that seems to be OK then to use the mead to extract the flavors from the horseradish to see what if any differences there might be in using a lower alcohol solution to extract and blend flavors.

Draft saved Draft deleted