Horrid taste on the back end.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctuttle3d

Junior
Reaction score
I started 3 one gallon batches of wine around the beginning of September, one starburst jelly bean, one maple syrup, and one pear grape Apple..... all 3 have awesome flavors and body on the front of my mouth, all three taste horrid on the back of my mouth. All three were fermented to between .990-1.000 and are around 15% ABV. All 3 have been stabilized. How do I make them taste good on the back end? I do like sweeter wines, I planned on back sweetening them all along, I just don’t know how, or if that will solve this problem?

Can't comment on starburst jelly bean wine.

Could this be an ABV problem? 15% sounds pretty high for pear/grape/apple, which to my mind should be more 11% range. I'm wondering whether any of these wines can stand up to 15% ABV.

(JELLY BEAN! LOL - I love it!) Maybe have a glass of each, and top up with 100% apple juice, to lower abv and sweeten?

All 3 of your wines (to me) seem like they should have some residual sugar to make them palatable. I'd backsweeten to taste and like Sal said, give them some time to integrate and mature.

I started 3 one gallon batches of wine around the beginning of September, one starburst jelly bean, one maple syrup, and one pear grape Apple..... all 3 have awesome flavors and body on the front of my mouth, all three taste horrid on the back of my mouth. All three were fermented to between .990-1.000 and are around 15% ABV. All 3 have been stabilized. How do I make them taste good on the back end? I do like sweeter wines, I planned on back sweetening them all along, I just don’t know how, or if that will solve this problem?

Yep. Agree with the others. Your just tasting the natural taste of this wine fermented dry
There’s a good reason why grape wine became the standard fruit for wine. Fermented dry they are delicious. But a lot of these non-grape wines aren’t meant to be consumed dry. When you do you’ll get that taste at the end that just tastes....’off’ I’d say.
But when sweetened a tad they can really shine.
Lots of ways to do it. What I did was lined up a few wine glasses and added sugar to different levels to fine the ideal taste. Then checked the SG of it so I could add sugar to the carboy to that mark.
And actually they say to shoot low somewhat too. Because after time more fruit taste will come out on its own anyway. So if say 1.007 tasted the best then getting the carboy to 1.003-1.005 range and a few months could nail it.

Latest posts

Back