hops harvested this weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
My son helped me cut hop vines and pick hops this weekend. Arms are still scratched up! Ended up with 2 pounds of Cascades (the originalclumpthat's 2 years old and one that was started thisSpring from acouple rhizomes offof the original)and 1/4 pound of Kent Goldings (2 yearold clump that was transplanted this spring so I didn't figure I'd get much from it).

They're drying in the living room under the ceiling fan.

I havea Magnum and Fuggle that are 2 year old as well, but didn't grow very well and only produced a couple bines and no cones. If they don't do well next year, they're being replaced.

I'll upload a couple pics when I get home later.

Cool, can't wait to see them. Wonder how many ounces you will end up with after they dry?

Me too, cant wait to see the pics. Where are you located? No Im not planning a late night grab and go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Here are the cascades after cutting the vines:
P1010095.jpg

and the result of 1 hour picking off the cones - one bucket 'o hops
P1010096.jpg

I think the weight reduction is supposed to be 3-1 or 4-1. Not positive.

Wade, I'm about 4 miles west of Waldo in Benton, AR.

Mmmmm, I bet your living room smells heavenly right now!

In an older Sunday Session episode Vinnie Cilurzo says to use 6 times as many hops when using fresh, undried hops, so my guess is you'll have something like 5 or 6 oz of Cascade maybe more depending on how dry you're able to get them.

I am drooling...

This is my second year with hops, No cones last year, and it looks like I'll end up with a whopping 3 cones this year off of my two rhizomes. Hopefully a full crop next year.

Kudos!

My Cascade hops are almost ready to pick also, but I can tell you from last year they get really light after they dry!!

Smelled very pine/citrusy for a day or two there!

They really do. Ended up with 7 1/2 oz dried Cascade and about 1/8 oz dried Kent Goldings. I thought I'd try an all CascadeAmerican IPA.

Is the golden aureus humulus lupulus used in brewing or is just an ornamental hop?

Latest posts

Back