Honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopin

Reaction score
I have read it here or somewhere else
that honey can be used instead of sugar and since
I don't like too much sugar and never used on wine
I am considering this honey option.
Have anyone else tried it?
And if so, how you dot it? Just add it or you dissolve it in hot water let's say?

Thanks

yes it will ferment it is sugar I have used it but man is it expensive. The sugar that is put in the wine is fermented out I dont understand why you dont like sugar?

Theres alot of people in here that use honey instead of sugar, the end product is called mead, but it is still fermented juice to me.

I'm sure you'll get more feed back then from me.

I was recently going to start a batch of Hard Cider that called for honey, but to buy it here was outrageous. I can buy a 4# bag of sugar for $2.50, the equivalent for honey was over 5 times that.

I don't know why you don't like the sugar. If it's taste, brown sugar, and I'm guessing even sugar in the raw might work. If it's an allergy thing you are still in good shape, lots of recipes call for honey. I know you will find your answer.

Good post, I'm looking forward to hearing what the others say.

Keep on Keeping On,
Troy

Are you talking about sweetening a wine with it after it has fermented or for making the wine. If your talking about making the wine then it is then called a mead and you would warm it up very well so that it pours easily out of the container and then would be dissolved in some very hot water if any is being use or some of the very hot fruit juice that is being used. If youre talking about sweetening the wine aft then dissolving it in son=me of the extracted wine to be sweetened is what I do.

Not after fermentation, before.

I really dont have any special reason of not liking sugar. It's just that. Never liked it since I was a kid.
But I wanted to know the proportion. Let's say, for example, what would it be the equivalent honey dose for 1 kg of sugar?

Basically a recipe calling for 1 1/4 of sugar would be 1 cup of honey.

Not after fermentation, before.

I really dont have any special reason of not liking sugar. It's just that. Never liked it since I was a kid.
But I wanted to know the proportion. Let's say, for example, what would it be the equivalent honey dose for 1 kg of sugar?

It depends on the kind and quality of the honey you would
be using. However generally speaking honey consists of 80% sugar
and so 20% water.

So 1 kilo sugar would needed to be substituted by 1000 / 80 x 1000 = 1250 gram honey.

The above is a general rule.
For your specific kind of honey you could do the difference ratio measurements yourself using a hydrometer.

Luc

Hey LUC! If honey wasn't so darn expensive I would like to try to make a lil wine with it.

I had a nightmare that you lost your calculator!:D

I, for one, appreciate you being a part of this group and sharing your knowledge with us.

It's really amazing how many people ask questions in here and don't even have a hydrometer! Seems like that is the next thing ater a fermenting bucket and the desire! Thats not the case here, but just thought I would say so.

Take Care
Troy
:D

[

It's really amazing how many people ask questions in here and don't even have a hydrometer! Seems like that is the next thing ater a fermenting bucket and the desire! Thats not the case here, but just thought I would say so.

Take Care
Troy
:D[/QUOTE]

Troy, it's really not much different than using an oven without a thermostat. :slp

yeah, quess so, but a hydrometer is really the only way to measure progress or lack thereof.

Wolf, one of us should start a thread and find out how we include a quote from another thread so it is highlighted in our post. Been wondering myself.

Be careful, we all like honey but those bees will sting you.

Oh..I meant beads, oh nevermind. LOL!

Take Care
Troy

This really isn't un-common at all. Remember we that have all this stuff are hobbiest. We do this all of the time and did a lot of research before we started. On the other hand, many have for example 50 pounds of blackberries and have made all the jam they wanted and are trying to figure out what to do with them. They get a brainstorm to make wine. So they do a Google search and the first recipe they see may be on How To Do It dot com or some site like that. Many of these sites quote old time recipes that none of that stuff is used. They know the people are not going to have the equiptment or even go buy it. I wouldn't either if I thought it was just gonna be a one time thing. Not to mention there isn't a wine making equipment store on the corner in every town.

So now the person started the wine per directions and now have a question about this nastly looking, smelling, and tasting stuff that looks rotten un the bucket. Another Google search and it brings them to a post in a message forum. So they join up to ask their question. Everyone on the forum chides them for not having the proper equipment so they never come back, dump their wine and move on never to enjoy the hobby, take those baby steps and polite advice to learn what they "really" need to know. Remember, the majority of recipes out there on the web are not posted by winemakers. They are copied from old school text. That's how many get their start.

Foregoing the hydrometer sometimes

[

Take Care
Troy
:D

Troy, it's really not much different than using an oven without a thermostat. :slp[/QUOTE]

A couple times a year, I put my hyrdometer away to test how far my wine-making skills have progressed. It makes me feel free. Sometimes, I like to shelf the chemist in me and just enjoy the hobby. Anyone else?

The first wine I ever made came from a recipe I found on www.instructables.com.
Now that I have a few batches under my belt I look back and see just how incomplete and innacurate they were.

Glad I somehow ended up here, now when I make wine, I can boast a bit. And like Smurfe said, I think too many give up to early.

Making your own is great, I wish more of the beginners would just hang in a bit. Once you get that first successsful batch, you will be hooked forever!
Troy

Thanks alot pal, you could have at least told ME how to do it too!! Now I'm not gonna tell you where the gold is buried. LOL

The gold is in the honey. The mead is well worth the price of the honey. Some times we have to spend a little to gain a little. I have a blueberry melomel sitting on the shelf, I'll save you a bottle.

Latest posts

Back