Homemade Equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinInKY

Junior
Reaction score
Let's see everyone's homemade wine making/storing/bottling equipment. Making stuff gives us something to do while we wait for our wine to finish. I have saw some amazing things people have made and am looking for more ideas!

Something to do?

With the non-stop work beginning with vineyard trimming in February, to the last harvest in September, I am happy to just lie and stare at the ceiling from October till next February. :sl

I recently made a bucket press.... Three nested primaries and a catch bucket. The overall concept is good I believe but the grapes here (wild Muscadine) are slimy-slimy-slimy and don't yield a lot of juice. Looking at images on the site here, I'm under the impression with 'quality' grapes there is a ton of free run juice with simple hand mashing where I believe this would work quite well. Maybe $75 for the food grade buckets, lids and spigot.

Heres the nested buckets in pressing configuration
i-bpWmFtm-L.jpg

Here's the four buckets. The top left is the pressing bucket with a lid to sit on. The middle bucket is the grape/must perforated bucket. The top right bucket is the catch and drain bucket. The bottom bucket is for collection.
i-Z8MTHqf-L.jpg

Here's the perforated bucket. Took me about an hour with my cordless to punch all those holes. The bung's in the bottom were to allow juice to run underneath the pressing bucket. In reality the nesting of the buckets stops it before the bung stoppers. My friend said how cool it looked with all those machine poked holes. Yeah, it was my drill and I winged it on spacing, size (3/16") and just followed the various lines on the bucket to make it look good. :)
i-MZPGrQP-L.jpg

i-7WBKX89-L.jpg

Here's 117lbs gross harvest of the slimy little guys....
i-7hXbjJk-L.jpg

Latest posts

Back