homemade degas'er

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Junior
Reaction score
would this work, providing i sanitized it? i made it from an aluminum coat hanger. i am a poor college student and paying $20 for the commercial ones is kind of expensive for me.

s7002799qd6.jpg

I would be leery of the coating on it. Check out the Plastic Shavings In Wine post. Might chip off if you hit the side of the carboy or around the neck. I am also wondering if it will be stiff enough to really do any good. I wouldn't really recommend anything that wasn't stainless steel. If I was going to go this route, I would find a hanger that was not coated.

Last edited:
I would be leery of the coating on it. Check out the Plastic Shavings In Wine post. Might chip off if you hit the side of the carboy or around the neck. I am also wondering if it will be stiff enough to really do any good. I wouldn't really recommend anything that wasn't stainless steel. If I was going to go this route, I would find a hanger that was not coated.

i was concernted about this too... i think i might have found a solution (sincei couldn't find a stainless steal hanger). I stuck the hanger in a small plastic tube. I filled the sink up and it seems to work good at stirring water.. i will have to adjust it so that it does not hit the sides of the carboy. do you think this will be better?

s7002800ip4.jpg

Even though I degassed before going from primary to secondary, I can tell it is still gassy. Is it all right degas again before bottling? E.g. if I were to transfer back to bucket then degas, then bottle?

Thanks!

Last edited:
When I first started making wine, and even today, I do a lot of the stirring & degassing with the paddle end of my big stirring spoon.

Steve

I went out and got one of the Fizz-X things, and despite making several batches of wine since, I've always just grabbed my spoon and stirred until my arm fell off, then switched arms. If you're not rushing your batches, and you're willing/able to stir for a couple of minutes at each racking, you can skip the expensive toys, or their Rube Goldberg substitutes.

I went out and got one of the Fizz-X things, and despite making several batches of wine since, I've always just grabbed my spoon and stirred until my arm fell off, then switched arms. If you're not rushing your batches, and you're willing/able to stir for a couple of minutes at each racking, you can skip the expensive toys, or their Rube Goldberg substitutes.

yeah, i am definitely going to skip buying one. We did stir for about 45 mins on and off after switching to secondary, but I am noticing now that there is still gas in it and plastic shavings from the spoon. It's at least worth a try! I guess I will learn the hard way ;)

yeah, i am definitely going to skip buying one. We did stir for about 45 mins on and off after switching to secondary, but I am noticing now that there is still gas in it and plastic shavings from the spoon. It's at least worth a try! I guess I will learn the hard way ;)

Look at a dollar store and see if you can find a stainless steel spoon that's handle will fit in the neck of your carboy. Won't have to worry about those plastic shavings and if you find one like I got, it will degas better. Still won't match a Mix-Stir device though.

gas

why dont you just shake th bottle it works if you dont have cash for a degasser cant get any cheaper than that

why dont you just shake th bottle it works if you dont have cash for a degasser cant get any cheaper than that

kind of hard to shake 6 gallons... and takes a lot of time to separate and shake separately. but i will look for long stainless steal spoon

Latest posts

Back