Home Vineyard in Coastal San Diego

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngg123

Reaction score
Well I'm giving this vineyard thing a try. I'm about 3 miles from the ocean as the crow flies in San Diego, CA. Just far enough to rarely get marine layer, and get lots of 75-80 degree days. I put 31 vines in the ground (8 pinot noir, 9 zinfandel, 14 cab sav) about 8 weeks ago. We've got heavy clay soil, so all vines are on the clay-loving 101-14 graft. I've heard home vineyards have done quite well in my neighborhood... that is until they got hit with pierce's disease from the glassy winged sharpshooter about a decade ago. The same time it wiped out all the vineyards in Temecula.

After digging 31 holes (3ft wide, 3ft deep) in clay soil I never want to see a shovel again :D . So one of the interesting parts of the vineyard is the trellis which has been constructed using existing posts from a chain-link fence. I anchored 45 degree fence poles at the base of each one of the existing poles. The trellis is going to be VSP. I haven't put up the light wires yet for the shoots. I used 12.5 gauge trellis wire for the main fruiting wire. Random question: would a heavy weight fishing line work for the VSP shoot wires? Seems like 12.5 gauge is overkill for rows that only have 15 vines max.

Also, shown are pics of a happy cabernet vine (largest) , a happy pinot noir, and a sad looking pinot noir. I've been watering the vines about once a week for the last 8 weeks. Is it time to reduce watering or stop watering completely? I've seen a lot of conflicting information about watering newly planted vines especially after the first month or two. As you can see in the pictures, they will eventually get water from the grass once the roots have been established. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, do I need to do any spraying this year?

Btw, the reason why I'm using metal skewers instead of bamboo stakes is that my 10 month old lab likes to chew on bamboo (and probably grape wood.) The shelters are more for dog protection than anything!

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Well, unfortunately, I have not yet started on the vineyard side of the craft, and have nothing to say about that, except I think it looks like a beautiful start of a vineyard!
I'm originally from Orange County (transplanted out somewhere I'd rather not acknowledge that I live at the moment), and love San Diego. I bet you are going to have an amazing vineyard and crop once they vines really start producing. I'm sure since its a home vineyard, you're going to be using it all yourself; but if you're ever interested in letting others get a crack at some of your grapes, keep me in mind. I'd love to see what I can do with them.
Cheers,
James

James, glad to hear you're originally from the area! I'm looking forward to the day when the vines are established and I can actually think about grapes and wine. Right now I'm just trying to not kill my expensive new babies! Yeah I'll definitely be using the grapes, hopefully not ruining them. :D

I'm buying 150 lbs of fresh grapes this september from West Coast Grapes to practice - they deliver to SoCal. I've done the wine kit thing but am looking forward to getting my hands (feet?) dirty with some fresh stuff.

John,

Congrats on your new hobby, I can tell you from my own experience that it is addictive! I put in 600 plus vines last year here in Vista. There are a number of folks around here growing grapes and making wine. I am on a hillside with an ocean view so my vine are all VSP trellis system and I just laid down the unilateral cordon. I think I will get enough grape to try my hand at making wine with my own grapes. BTW,, there are a number of vineyards around here where you can purchase local grapes during harvest season. Anyway, would love to chat with you. There are a lot of resources in the area. Welcome aboard!

Gary

Gary, wow that is amazing, 600 vines! I'm in La Costa, so you're not far at all. What varietals/rootstocks are you growing? My choice in growing Pinot, Zin and Cab was made of pure selfishness and ignorance :D. I suppose it is an experiment about what grows well here in my little coastal valley. I've spent a lot of time in Russian River and Dry Creek, known for Pinot and Zin, respectively, and noticed the weather is somewhat similar to here. I'm on a half acre with a lot more space so once I find out what works I'll probably plant more.

Have you had to do any spraying? As you can see in my last picture, my pinot noir is struggling with a potential fungus.

Anyhow, I'd love to chat and hear about the resources around here. Great to know that lots of others are having success, maybe I can learn from them!

John

John,
I live on a hill in the Vista/San Marcos area. I have an ocean view and probably close to your place in La Costa. I have planted zin, cab franc, and sangiovese, all which do well in this area. You might want to consider taking some of the winemaking/vineyard management classes at Mira Costa. They are great and you meet a lot of folks into vineyard growing. Your choice of vines should do well at your place. Rhone variatals seem to do well in San Diego County overall. Cab does not do as well as it does in the north. Drop me a note at [email protected] and we can talk more about how to proceed and vineyard management in general. Best of luck, Gary

Looks like your off to a good start. I don't think any type of fishing line will be strong enough to hold vines once they get mature. You really do need steel. And don't forget to put a line tensioner on as we'll as even steel will stretch or loosen overtime and need to be retensioned from time to time.

Latest posts

Back