home made oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danroh

Junior
Reaction score
has anyone ever tryed to make there own oak chips or staves? I was thinking of trying a couple of gal batches with raw, toasted and maybe even smoked oak staves

I've currently got some home made oak slats in a carboy. I'm trying them out for the first time so can't comment on the quality yet.

oak

I posted this on RJ Spangnols forum and got these replies

" danno,
Yes I have, I used to make 90 gals of wine in one batch using 30 gal. oak barrels after not getting along with my brother-in-laws, and we all went are different ways, I make 6 gal, from grapes, blueberries, etc. and many kits now.
So I took apart my barrel, cut it up into small strips, (will fit in the 6 gals bottle) toasted with a blow torch, works just great, I have also got some clean white amreican oak, (used in hard wood floors) and that seems even better then the old cut up barrels.
Good Luck
Lou

#2 Author : danno 9/4/2007 2:20:40 PM
thank you lou
I had a half doz white oak trees cut and sawed into 1 1/4 planks 1.5 years ago and they have been drying in my barn. I just made a 6 gal batch of wheat wine and wanted to add oak to it. My recipe says to age for 2 years and that it will have a smooth burban taste and oak should be very nice in it. I will give it a try. As I stated I also want to try putting a few staves high in my smoker after toasting

#3 Author : Lou 9/4/2007 2:34:06 PM
Nice, keep notes on how much oak you use, and for how long the oak is in for and, let me know how the smoked oak works out because it does sound like something I would have to try.

#4 Author : Lambie 9/5/2007 7:37:37 AM
be careful what your source of wood is..... if purchased commercially it is generally treated with various preservatives and conditioners (for lack of a better word)

If using your own source of wood check for pests and critters ie: bugs, rot or mold..... make sure you put it through some form of sterilization prior to putting in your wine or all your hard work could easily be down the drain, no pun intended! "

Latest posts

Back