Home-made hard apple juice causing headaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to run it by all of you to get your feedback.

I made a patch of hard apple juice with Lalvin 1118. I only fermented it for a month, and then bottled it. I believe it's around 12% if I recall.
The reason for the short ferment, is I wanted to see if I could get some natural carbonation in the bottles by bottling it early.
However, when I drink this apple juice, it always seems to give me a headache and make me feel like crap.

I've made batches before, with different yeast, and longer ferments, and don't recall it having this kind of reaction on me.

Now the Question, Why do I get the headaches?
Is this because I bottled it so soon, and did not let the full fermentation take place over a few months?
Could I be sensitive to Lalvin 1118?

Thanks in advance for any ides or suggestions?

Stressing the yeast (wrong temp, not enough nutrients, ph, etc.) can contribute to producing fusel alcohols which people believe can cause headaches, but this is not scientifically proven.

I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to run it by all of you to get your feedback.

I made a patch of hard apple juice with Lalvin 1118. I only fermented it for a month, and then bottled it. I believe it's around 12% if I recall.
The reason for the short ferment, is I wanted to see if I could get some natural carbonation in the bottles by bottling it early.
However, when I drink this apple juice, it always seems to give me a headache and make me feel like crap.

I've made batches before, with different yeast, and longer ferments, and don't recall it having this kind of reaction on me.

Now the Question, Why do I get the headaches?
Is this because I bottled it so soon, and did not let the full fermentation take place over a few months?
Could I be sensitive to Lalvin 1118?

Thanks in advance for any ides or suggestions?
This is just one of those weird ass things that happen to a few people and nobody else. I have a buddy that when I make certain beers it gives him headaches but doesn’t bother me or the rest of my friends who drink it, have no idea why, thought it was maybe the hops but then we put same hops in different beers and it didn’t bother him. 🤷‍♂️
Guess I’d have some other people drink some and see if it gives them a headache, if it doesn’t then it’s just something in your body that doesn’t like what you made.

Latest posts

Back