Home made beer kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
Hello I am a fellow fermentationist and I am having a brewing dilemma. The other day I was in my cupboards and noticed that I had a box of granola bars and they expire this month, I looked at the ingredients and noticed Barley malt extract, also it contains whole grain rolled oats and other ingredients that made me think BEER! ( the granola bars are preservative and color free)

So heres my idea, I am going to make three 1 gallon batches and make each one slightly different and compare the results. I went to the LHBS and picked up some cascade sterling hop pellets (28g) and some Morgans ale yeast. I then went grocery shopping and found some Pure Fancy Molasses on sale. I don't know if this will be as good as DME or liquid malt but its worth a try.

Anyways my point here is that Iv only ever made beer the easiest way which is with those pre hopped extract kits therefore I have no idea how to use the hops! I mean iv seen the videos and heard the beer podcasts and understand you gotta toss the hop pellets in the boil, but how the heck will I do it? Im thinking boiling it in water or dry hopping? Also how much of the 28g should I be using per 1 gallon batch? Iv tried the crazy intense IPA's and I'm not a huge fan lol I am young and have a sensitive pallet still. so easy on the hop addition suggestions :)

here is a quick guideline for hops - The longer you boil them, the bitter they get. Most recipes call for:
Bittering hops at 55-60 mins
Flavoring hops at 10-15 mins
Aroma hops between 5 mins-1 min left in the boil.
(not to mention dry hopping in the secondary for more aroma)
Depending on the brew, I've used as much as 3-4 oz of hops in a 5 gallon recipe, and as little as 2 oz.
Cascade are nice mild aroma hops, for 1 gallon batches, I'd use maybe 1/4 -1/2 oz split up at 60 and 5 mins.
I don't think that you are going to get the same effect using molasses in place of DME, or LME, but it is absolutely worth the try!

Your idea is ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome!
rockin.gif
I can't find a flaw in your logic.

I'm thinking if you went heavy on the hops it might hide off flavors. I'm basing this on the fact that I never seem to have had a bad IPA.

Your idea is ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome!
rockin.gif
I can't find a flaw in your logic.

I'm thinking if you went heavy on the hops it might hide off flavors. I'm basing this on the fact that I never seem to have had a bad IPA.

It is ridiculously awesome! Lol. its all part of the fun... Yea i would like to get a good bitterness and flavor in my beer. But heres the thing i got 1 oz of cascade sterling hops to work with , thats it. I went to the lhbs twice now in the past 24 hrs and im not goin back again anytime soon. Its not really that local of a store to where i live.

Is there a good way to stretch this 1 oz between three 1 gallon batches and achieve good bitterness and flavor? i was thinking like 5grams hops for 60 minutes and 4g at last 20 min for Flavor.

Also since im using granola bars should i toss in some irish moss? technically the granola bar label says barley malt extract so i dont know if irish moss is needed. But there are other ingridients in them such as soy protein. Rice flour. and peanut butter.

Last edited:
1 oz might be fine since you don't like it too hoppy. That's about the same amount as the stout I made. That recipe was 2 oz for 5 gallons. I don't notice any hops in the taste.

Back