Hole is dug for our new wine cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL
any idiot can become an inspector. I teach them all the time. No argument from me. The problem with inspectors is they all come from a specific trade. But they inspect many if not all trades depending how large your town is. Also most communities get a third party inspector to do foundations when it counts to relieve themselves of liability. Won't matter for you anyway since your 6ft in the ground.
When do you sorbate your fruit wines?

Actually the contractor said the same thing, no frost line here.

Sorbate generally the 2nd racking in case I decide to back flavor or sweeten.

Although you need to go by what the inspector says, there is a frost line designated for Catawba County NC of 12 inches. See the link http://www.catawbacountync.gov/building/_pdfs/designcodes.pdf .
You have no problems there with frost getting below the footings so you are good to go. It really is amazing how many times contractors, etc will give out incorrect advice simply because they were told so at one time themselves. Basically if it freezes at all, you have a frost line - the point to which it can freeze in the coldest year of the period. Here in the north we have a frost line between 4 and 6 feet, depending on your location. It can be influenced by length of cold spells and amount of ground cover- such as snow.

grapeman said:
Although you need to go by what the inspector says, there is a frost line designated for Catawba County NC of 12 inches. See the link http://www.catawbacountync.gov/building/_pdfs/designcodes.pdf .
You have no problems there with frost getting below the footings so you are good to go. It really is amazing how many times contractors, etc will give out incorrect advice simply because they were told so at one time themselves. Basically if it freezes at all, you have a frost line - the point to which it can freeze in the coldest year of the period. Here in the north we have a frost line between 4 and 6 feet, depending on your location. It can be influenced by length of cold spells and amount of ground cover- such as snow.

Sammyk and a few others did a good job beating to death the existence (or non existence) of a frost line in his area on SC in another thread.

Think about how to insulate your roof Sammy from the intense summertime sun. I think that will be a challenge.

We may get a dozen or so frosts a year, and not even on consecutive days but once they sun is up the frost is gone. End of subject.

He is going to put corrugated metal on the top, covered with 4 to 5 inches of cement and then fill over with dirt.
They are digging the drain in the bottom of the floor and will do the floor today.

Last edited:
Inspector? We don't need no stinking inspector in my county! The state makes us inspect the electrical. That's it. :h

Uh, that's a good thing if you do your own work and do it right; a bad thing if you hire it done by some jack-leg. But you know, even a poorly conceived building, plumbing system or electrical system can pass an inspection where required with flying colors and still be a PITA to live with. There's no code against "dumb work."

grapeman, I hear ya on frost line. They say the bury depth for pipes here in southern TN is 2 feet. But I don't do that, I go 3 feet. Why? Cuz on that 1-in-10 out-year where we have a week of below zero weather, those 2-foot pipes will freeze and can burst. Learned by experience.

They also make us put underground electrical wires in conduit. People up North think that's not needed, but here there are a lot of little sharp limestone rocks in the subsoil. That's not even the real reason, though. The real reason is that here, we get direct lightning strikes a lot. When that hits and surges, it can burn right through the plastic coating on a wire not run in conduit. Uh, yep - learned from experience.

Last edited:
They also make us put underground electrical wires in conduit. People up North think that's not needed, but here there are a lot of little sharp limestone rocks in the subsoil. That's not even the real reason, though. The real reason is that here, we get direct lightning strikes a lot. When that hits and surges, it can burn right through the plastic coating on a wire not run in conduit. Uh, yep - learned from experience.
Jim any new construction up north here all has to be in conduit. I personally think it would be foolish not to. I have several runs going to my shed and patio. Everything in conduit. It makes life so much easier if you have to run a new or additional line. When I poured my patio I even ran conduit under it without wires and one that came up in the middle of it, just in case I decided to do something later. The patio is 24' in diameter. I like the way you think. An ounce of prevention now can save thousands later. Inspectors here are pretty tough but then I'm sure there are those that will turn there heads for $$.

Sammy and I beat the frost line to death. We disagree. Thats OK. We still talk wine and if we ever drink a beer together it would be a fun topic. lol
The cellar is looking good Sammy.
Maybe when backfilling you might consider placing 2 inch hardboard insulation around the top 2 feet of the walls against the wall and over the rroof concrete under the dirt. When it is warm it will help keep the cellar cool. 4-5 inches of dirt and 6 inches of concrete is a relatively low R value I believe.

Just tuned in. Looks great! I will follow this intently. I just bought an acreage and this look slike a great idea.

No updates other than the roof/ceiling was poured yesterday. They sure are taking their time working one day a week, and we are fed up! We have major rain moving in on Thursday. He was supposed to be here today and never showed up or called.

No updates other than the roof/ceiling was poured yesterday. They sure are taking their time working one day a week, and we are fed up! We have major rain moving in on Thursday. He was supposed to be here today and never showed up or called.

I know the feeling. The contractor who did our cellar did not work when it rained or on weekends. That year here in Oregon, it seemed like the only time it did not rain was on weekends. We were getting pretty frustrated toward the end.

To be more frank about it we are pi**ed about it. It was a gorgeous day Friday and yesterday. Every time we ask he said it will be done by the week-end. I suppose I should ask which week-end. A job that he said would take less than a week is going into the 4th week.
I told him upfront it had to be done before it was 70 degrees outside and he said "no problem" now we are into the 80's!

Back