Hole is dug for our new wine cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After talking to the contractor today we decided against a drain inside. There will be a drain outside the door that will go to the ditch. So it could be hosed down and or swept from inside and into the drain. Or washed and shop vac'd up.

Carpeting and that humidity might be a issue. Possible solution might be rubber stall mats sold for horse stalls. Or cork tiles.
Jealous. Cant wait to move ahead with my own

We considered stall mats for our cellar, but I found the rubber smell overwhelming. I am sure that over time it would have probably faded, but we decided to just leave the floor bare concrete.

Tom I got the heavy rubber mats from Home Depot and you're right about the smell. I left them in the garage for a week before bringing them into the basement and that did the trick.

Sammyk said:
After talking to the contractor today we decided against a drain inside. There will be a drain outside the door that will go to the ditch. So it could be hosed down and or swept from inside and into the drain. Or washed and shop vac'd up.

Any updates??!!

We considered stall mats for our cellar, but I found the rubber smell overwhelming. I am sure that over time it would have probably faded, but we decided to just leave the floor bare concrete.

There are carpets designed for outdoor use (for patios or "3 season" rooms).

It was slow going but now progress!

We have been unusually cold for us. So the work stopped until yesterday

The contractor says it should be finished this week.

Yesterday the footings. Today the blocks.

cellar6.jpg

cellar7.jpg

cellar8.jpg

Are they adding any rebar and core filling? Without that the walls won't be very strong but the shortness of each wall will help because of the corners.

Super. That will add tremendously to the longterm stability of the cellar. Without it the walls eventually may push in.

Won't be long and you will have your dream cellar.

Dan, Even in Beautiful Southwest Florida it is down right cold! This morning 39 degrees. It broke records and will probably do it again tomorrow morning.

Dan, Even in Beautiful Southwest Florida it is down right cold! This morning 39 degrees. It broke records and will probably do it again tomorrow morning.

OMG I am so sorry to hear that! not
thheatbeat.gif

Actually Dan we have been in the 20's in the morning and low 40's during the day. We should be in the upper 60's or low 70's. We actually had snow flakes two days ago.
On another note the blue skies you see in the photos well, here the locals refer to them as "Carolina Blue". We never heard of that color until we moved here.
We do get cold in the winter but generally have those "Carolina Blue" skies.

Phil the reason we left MI was to get away from the cold and snow. This past week, we felt like we were back in Michigan!

What a huge task to take on !! But it is soo worth it in the end and I am glad you are both talking it thru and making all the right decisions.

Good luck !!

L:Living in VA I am very familiar with Carolina Blue. But what color are the skies in Michigan? Or is it too cold to go outside and look?

Dave they are cloudy and overcast 75% of the time from October until March. Weeks at a time with no sun. Then piles of dirty dingy snow everywhere and NO sun. So depressing, that is why we left.

I did want to tell you though. The inspector was here for the cellar and we were talking about frost levels here and he said "what frost line? We don't have a frost line here!" I did not want to argue with you but I knew we don't get frost in the ground.....

Latest posts

Back