Hock bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my Riesling, so I went to the two wineries near me but they only use standard Bordeaux bottles, so I've been forced to go to the internet. During my search, I've been noticing that hock bottles are quite a bit more than your standard Bordeaux and Burgundy's (~$30-$35 compared to $20 per case).

Is there any reason why? I did find a site that had them for $8.60 per case, but I personally have never heard of them before.

I pay the same price for my Hock bottles as I do for Bordeaux, pick up only in Niagara region of Canada: Watson's Vineyard

I'm about to bottle my Riesling, so I went to the two wineries near me but they only use standard Bordeaux bottles, so I've been forced to go to the internet. During my search, I've been noticing that hock bottles are quite a bit more than your standard Bordeaux and Burgundy's (~$30-$35 compared to $20 per case).

Is there any reason why? I did find a site that had them for $8.60 per case, but I personally have never heard of them before.

Check them out at LabelPeelers:

https://labelpeelers.com/wine-bottles/

well i learn something new every day. I have a few of these, and I got a case of blue ones last year, but didn't know what they were called!

thanks for the link John, I didn't know Label Peelers was in Kent... they sell my favorite bottles - blue! I'll have to pick up a few cases next time I'm in the area.

I buy just about all my kits and supplies from Labelpeelers. Shipping is fast, customer service is terrific and as far as I can see, their price, with shipping added, is lower than any other internet site including those who advertise so-called "free" shipping. Folks that live anywhere near their store in Kent, Ohio have got it made! Prices are great!

We have a small county recycling center near my house. They have a big dumpster of glass bottles and wine bottles. Problem is you have to clean them and get dirty.

I buy just about all my kits and supplies from Labelpeelers. Shipping is fast, customer service is terrific and as far as I can see, their price, with shipping added, is lower than any other internet site including those who advertise so-called "free" shipping. Folks that live anywhere near their store in Kent, Ohio have got it made! Prices are great!

I had no idea they were in Kent! That's only three hours from where I'm at. Might be worth the gas to check it out!

Shipping costs are a killer when buying bottles online. When comparing the cost of bottles between online sources, add it to your cart and have the site estimate the shipping costs so that you can compare the delivered price to you.

In addition, play around with quantity. It may only cost a dollar or two more to ship 3 cases vs 1 or 2.

I ended up getting three cases, and it was about $4 more which isn't bad at all. I'd rather have a surplus than not enough!
Glad you got bottles, I use Bordeaux bottles pretty much exclusively except for my Rhone Varietals. Then I use Rhone bottles. And for whites I just use a clear bottle.

I use Watsons too, just wish he took some form of electronic payment. I never have cash on me.

I am spoiled, my father in law lives down the road from them, I phone my order to him and and E-transfer the money - he has to deal with the cash only aspect LOL

Latest posts

Back