WineXpert Hitting the target with alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I‘ll be starting a Classic California Moscato Wine Kit in the next few days and would like to shoot for 12.5% ACL.
I could add simple syrup, adjust the water, add 190 proof alcohol or a combination.
What do you guys think will have the least effect on the profile of the Moscato.
I‘m also open to doing nothing 😂
Thanks for your help!

Adjust the SG with sugar (or syrup) or water until the estimated ABV is apx 12.5%.

BTW - what does the kit maker estimate the final ABV will be?
The kit doesn’t have an ABV, but to does have a SG OF 1.070-1.090. I think I can get to 12% with maybe a cup of sugar and then adjust the water? What do you think?

verify what the kit will be initially then adjust with syrup or water as necessary. alcohol should not be used until wine is clear post fermentation. it will affect the taste and other flavor profiles of the wine. not suggested.
I totally agree, adding abv is a last resort.

It's a kit, so you are adding water. The batch of grapes that made the juice COULD produce a wine at 12% but why not add LESS water to hit the specific SG YOU want. Simply add water carefully while mixing and monitoring the SG. It may mean you will have a pint or two less wine - or not, but the wine you have will have only the sugars from the fruit (unless the kit maker adds all kinds of gunk)

I‘ll be starting a Classic California Moscato Wine Kit in the next few days and would like to shoot for 12.5% ACL.
I could add simple syrup, adjust the water, add 190 proof alcohol or a combination.
What do you guys think will have the least effect on the profile of the Moscato.
Thanks for your help!
I made that kit two years ago with no additions, no tweaks, etc. It came out 9.95% ABV.

Thanks for your help!
I 'almost' always shoot for a ABV of 11% or more with the kits. I do that especially for the blends/whites. I just looked and I boosted my last WE Moscato kit to 1.080 starting specific gravity. I did a 6 gal kit and added around 2.5 lbs of sugar to get to my range. I also added golden grapes to the must through day 6 of primary fermentation. I had aged it for 2.5 months and bottled it around 2 weeks ago. It came out great. The true test of taste will come in 2 weeks at a family wedding.

I 'almost' always shoot for a ABV of 11% or more with the kits. I do that especially for the blends/whites. I just looked and I boosted my last WE Moscato kit to 1.080 starting specific gravity. I did a 6 gal kit and added around 2.5 lbs of sugar to get to my range. I also added golden grapes to the must through day 6 of primary fermentation. I had aged it for 2.5 months and bottled it around 2 weeks ago. It came out great. The true test of taste will come in 2 weeks at a family wedding.
2 1/2 lbs, thanks Mike. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck with the wedding!

If there's still an active ferment going on, and we used the starting SG to do the calculations of how much sugar to add to get to a desired ABV, does it effectively matter when the sugar is added? Could one not still add the necessary sugar halfway through and still obtain the desired end result, because ultimately the same amount of total sugar was converted?

If there's still an active ferment going on, and we used the starting SG to do the calculations of how much sugar to add to get to a desired ABV, does it effectively matter when the sugar is added? Could one not still add the necessary sugar halfway through and still obtain the desired end result, because ultimately the same amount of total sugar was converted?
Yes, you can do that during active fermentation. It is known as step feeding, if you search here you will find many posts regarding it.

Latest posts

Back