Hilling up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxtrendsguy

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for implements to use to hill up the vines in November. No one else around here uses this practice but I am getting tired of replacing 30% of my vineyard every year. Time to do what works in the Finger Lakes and Ontario....they grow the same vinifera as I so may as well do what they do...

I am talking small commercial size vineyard here not a backyard vineyard....hand tools are not an option...:)

We used a a 60 horse tractor with a front end loader to scoop piles of mulched cactus and dump it down our rows. We then used a self propelled Roto tiller to even it out. You could dump your dirt down the middle of the rows then use a disc on a three point hitch to throw it out to the side of either row.

You tube grape weeder, grape hoe, theres several options.....pricey but they do exist

Personally I've been giving thought to a 3pt rototiller, only use half of it, set it up.om a tool bar, set outside the tire, run a 1 to 1 gearbox to feed it from the pto.
Run in reverse it will throw up nicely....
I've run my 5' in reverse to bu I'll ld nice fluffy raised seedbed, that can be rolled.

Back