Hilling up

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by wxtrendsguy, Aug 12, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 12, 2019 #1

wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Looking for suggestions for implements to use to hill up the vines in November. No one else around here uses this practice but I am getting tired of replacing 30% of my vineyard every year. Time to do what works in the Finger Lakes and Ontario....they grow the same vinifera as I so may as well do what they do...

I am talking small commercial size vineyard here not a backyard vineyard....hand tools are not an option...:)

2. Aug 16, 2019 #2

Lando545

Lando545

Lando545

Junior

We used a a 60 horse tractor with a front end loader to scoop piles of mulched cactus and dump it down our rows. We then used a self propelled Roto tiller to even it out. You could dump your dirt down the middle of the rows then use a disc on a three point hitch to throw it out to the side of either row.

3. Aug 16, 2019 #3

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

google the Geneva test station or New York grape society(?) maybe can find info.

4. Aug 18, 2019 #4

Bobp

Bobp

Bobp

You tube grape weeder, grape hoe, theres several options.....pricey but they do exist

Personally I've been giving thought to a 3pt rototiller, only use half of it, set it up.om a tool bar, set outside the tire, run a 1 to 1 gearbox to feed it from the pto.
    Run in reverse it will throw up nicely....
    I've run my 5' in reverse to bu I'll ld nice fluffy raised seedbed, that can be rolled.

Lando545 likes this.