Hill country rookie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter379

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. I am very new to this. As a matter of fact I'm going to buy a wine making kit tomorrow morning and picking grapes tomorrow afternoon.

I am going to purchas a 6 gallon kit. I had posted a link but it appears I can not post links until I have 5 posts.

I planed on using muscadine grapes but am going with mustang grapes. A actually believe they are the same thing.

So my first question is what is the best way to crush the grapes without a press?

I look foward to all the help and advice I can get as I start on this journey.

I did this for years - i used a piece of 1x2 about 6' long - and then took a section of 2x4 about 1' long.

I also put screws into the 2x4 where they came out the bottom to help puncture the grape skins.

Then - Nailed the 2x4 to the bottom of the 1x2 (looks like a T when done).

And a lot of elbow grease - i recently bought a used crusher off craigslist for $50 - much, much easier.

Watch amazon - they have a weston press that gets pretty cheap sometimes - i got mine for $85 + free shipping.

Hello and welcome. Don't be afraid to get your feet wet and stomp 'em down!

Muscadines (Vitis rotundifolia)
Mustang Grapes (Vitis mustangensis)

While both are Native grapes and some of their ranges overlap, they are not the same.

Latest posts

Back