Highway robbery!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy317

Reaction score
So I needed to stop at the wine shop for tannin and yeast energizer for my skeeter pee... So today I took a drive to a homebrew shop... Now don't get me wrong, I have been there before and KNOW they have higher prices than other shops (even the wineries) but I was sickened today...

When I went to buy the 2 ingredients I needed... they were stored in "serve yourself" bins (you're supposed to dish your stuff out into a ziplock bag and no individual scoopers were provided) and they were listed at $2 and up PER OUNCE!!!

I'm no genius, but I would MUCH rather buy in the little bottles where I know the ingredients haven't been messed with... Not to mention that the price per ounce is the price per BOTTLE of the stuff I get at any other shop...

I have just resolved to not use this shop again... Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting small, local businesses, but the sanitation thing is an issue for me...

So I guess instead of skeeter pee I'll be starting my concord grape bucket...

Anyone from the Western PA area who is interested in the name of the shop to avoid can message me... I'm not one to go name bashing...

That wouldn't be name bashing, it would be telling it like it is.

My local LHBS charges $49 for a standard 6 gallon carboy. I can buy a carboy from George all the way down in Texas (Wine Makers' Toy Store), pay for shipping and STILL pay less than $49 per carboy. Buying two is an even better deal.

I believe in supporting the local dealers, but not when I feel they are out of line, price-wise.

They don't sell individual bottles of campden tabs... They sell them at 20c EACH!!!

I can get a bottle of 50 for $1.50 elsewhere... I just wanted to scream in there today... lmao!

oh WOW thats insane!!! my LBS sells the little bottles all filled up n ready to go for so much less!!! i think i paid maybe 2.50 for a bottle of tannin and i know i paid 2.65 for the energizer i pcked up!!! to bad i have to drive almost to PA to get there LOL!! hellofa drive for a damn good shop!

Why don't you ladies look around at some of the online supplie shops. You're right there in the continental U.S. It isn't going to take weeks to get the stuff.

There are some real reputable places to get stuff. I hear this name George alot and everyone seems to speak well of him.

I too am 100% dedicated to support a local business, but I am still a consumer.

after shipping its not to much cheaper for me, and i love to go soak in their knolwedge!! i think im gonna order some juices online tho, those kits are hella pricy!

I just ordered from Northern Brewer about 2 minutes ago. I havent used them before but have heard good things so we'll see. I usually get most of my stuff from http://finevinewines.com/ but he doesnt carry enough of the beer making suppiles as Id like him to. Northern seemed to be 1 of only 2 places that stocked a Barley crusher and the prices were very close but the cheaper shipping from Northern sealed the deal plus today was the last day of a 10% sale so all together with the 3 things I bought, the sale and thye cheper shipping I saved around $28 and that aint chump change!

campden tabs are 10 cents each here and our money is worth way less than yours.

i'm not sure where we get ours, as my father picks them up, but he told me they're $20. that was a few years back, so maybe they've gone up? dunno, but more than $30 sounds expensive for glass of that size. glass is not an expensive material to get. it's not easy to work with, but not expensive to buy the material.

anyhow, I'm glad we have enough to push to the legal limit if we had the money for the juice/fruit!

A few years back someone mentioned to me that they had seen carboys and other wine making equipment at the local recycling site. I got down there almost before they had finished their sentence. Sure enough, there were row upon row of glass carboys and heaps of other stuff. I packed my car solid and payed around 10gbp for the lot. I now make regular stops in there and get all sorts of equipment for pennies whilst helping the planet.
Give it a go. It saves money and helps the environment.

Glass carboys here at the mom and pop are about $45.00 for a 6 gallon. That is comparable to buying one online and paying shipping.
What just kills me is to know that EVERY HOME WATER BOTTLE used to be glass! They changed to plastic because the glass broke so easy.
So some where there has to be a big storage building filled with glass water carboys.

I dont' have anywhere locally to buy chemicals or anything for that matter, nearest is almost an hour away so I use the net for lots of purchases.

Today I was looking for something as simple as Potassium Sorbate and stumbled across these guys on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-lb-Potassium-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439c05d932

A POUND of Potassium Sorbate for 8.95 plus 5.95 shipping.

Buying 3 oz at eckraus is $7.50 plus shipping

Even the lower priced homebrewers.com is 2.50 for 2 oz plus shipping.

I went with a half pound, that'll hold me for awhile. Less than 12 bucks delivered.

Last edited:
I pay $39 for a carboy. It's pretty great that his prices are so cheap considering I live in upstate New York and everything is expensive. Can't wait to move back to Virginia!

Latest posts

Back