RJ Spagnols High Tail Niagara Merlot coming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, can you confirm the kit does come with dried skins? The SHB site says that it doesn't come with skins stating, "Grape Skins -> No, Freshness Of Juice Doesn't Warrant Skins".

I shied away from purchase because of the omission of skins. A previous post of yours indicates 2 packs of dried skins. Please confirm.
It definitely came with two bags of dried skins. I'll be racking it this weekend, I'll let you know how it's progressing.

Comes with 2 packs of dried skins, Mine just finished a 5 week EM.

I started mine tonight. In the morning I'm going to pitch the yeast. I'm thinking RC212 instead of the EC1118 it came with. I'm getting quite a store of the 1118...

Just for knowledge - what differences will RC212 produce over BM4X4 - also recommended?

I started mine tonight. In the morning I'm going to pitch the yeast. I'm thinking RC212 instead of the EC1118 it came with. I'm getting quite a store of the 1118...

Just for knowledge - what differences will RC212 produce over BM4X4 - also recommended?

In case you haven't seen this link from other threads: https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wyeastpair.pdf MoreWine doesn't look to have a recommendation for RC212 with Merlot, but I've used RC212 on my Stag's Leap Merlot, and it turned out well. Note that in this article, "BM45" can be substituted for "BM4X4". From my understanding, BM4X4 is an updated strain partly based off of BM45.

The yeast imparts a lot of flavor, so I think it comes down to personal preference. I've used both RC212 and BM4X4, and I think BM4X4 produces a taste that is closer to the commercial wines I like, but your mileage may vary. Either is a good choice for Merlot, in my opinion.

In case you haven't seen this link from other threads: https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wyeastpair.pdf MoreWine doesn't look to have a recommendation for RC212 with Merlot, but I've used RC212 on my Stag's Leap Merlot, and it turned out well. Note that in this article, "BM45" can be substituted for "BM4X4". From my understanding, BM4X4 is an updated strain partly based off of BM45.

The yeast imparts a lot of flavor, so I think it comes down to personal preference. I've used both RC212 and BM4X4, and I think BM4X4 produces a taste that is closer to the commercial wines I like, but your mileage may vary. Either is a good choice for Merlot, in my opinion.
Thank you for the info! I have in my notes from somewhere that RC212 is a recommended yeast for Merlot. I also considered Avante but my last three Stag’s Leap Merlot have been with that yeast from Renaissance. And, none of them have aged enough to give a taste. I really like Brown’s Merlot and that’s the yeast they used for the 2013 Merlot.

Quick question for those who have done this kit. What was your original gravity? When I mixed the must and added the dry skins it was a 1.089 at 53 degrees. When I woke up this morning, stirred the must and measured it came out to 1.122 at 68 degrees so I pitched the yeast - RC212. I frankly didn't (and don't) believe it. But I use Tilt hydrometers and I haven't had this happen before. Again, can you tell me your OG and FG?

Quick question for those who have done this kit. What was your original gravity? When I mixed the must and added the dry skins it was a 1.089 at 53 degrees. When I woke up this morning, stirred the must and measured it came out to 1.122 at 68 degrees so I pitched the yeast - RC212. I frankly didn't (and don't) believe it. But I use Tilt hydrometers and I haven't had this happen before. Again, can you tell me your OG and FG?
Assuming that 1.122 is correct, which I am with you and doubt, RC-212 won't go much above 14% abv and that might end up at 17% abv. Do you have a different hydrometer to compare it to?

Assuming that 1.122 is correct, which I am with you and doubt, RC-212 won't go much above 14% abv and that might end up at 17% abv. Do you have a different hydrometer to compare it to?
I do have a conventional hydrometer. Good idea. I'll check that in the morning and report.

Update: I checked it just now with a conventional hydrometer and it's 1.096 with temp adjustment. That's more like it...

Last edited:
Just curious as I am not into kits and have never actually done one. Does this kit actually require you to add water to the juice? Why do kit wines call for bentonite and water at the beginning?

Just curious as I am not into kits and have never actually done one. Does this kit actually require you to add water to the juice? Why do kit wines call for bentonite and water at the beginning?
All kits require additional water, except for the Mosti Mondial premium "all juice" kits. Coincidentally those same kits don't include bentonite.

Thanks for the BM4X4 opinion - I have the new yeast in hand and will be launching this kit in the next few days. One can really feel the excitement of straying from the instructions as this is about as much tweaking I have done. :)

Latest posts

Back