high speed wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whine4wine

Reaction score
This my first batch of wine,apple. To recap:
In primary I started with Sg !.089
Day 3, I was down to 1.040.
Day 5, it was 1.002, I squeezed out pulp and transferred into a secondary.

I'm now at day 10 with an sg of 0.993. Is this going fast?:a1
I was wondering when I should rack again, there is about 1 1/2 inch of lees in bottom of 5 gal carboy.

I also have started a second batch, that is going slower at day 5, but the apples were not ground as fine and i used different yeast. First batch I used lalvin 1118, in the second batch I tried 71b-1122.

For the batch at .993, just be sure it's done fermenting. Take a reading for the next couple of days, and if it doesn't change then you should be OK to rack. You really don't need to rack...the wine can stay on the fine lee's for a few weeks without any issues.

Lalvin 1118 will ferment anything, anytime, anywhere, don't worry if it got finished faster than the second batch. Try not to rush it...wine takes time, you won't be disappointed if you wait.

Peace,
Bob

Actually I would rack this woine of the lees into a vessel with much ess head space as apple wine can oxidize very easily and thats why I use ascorbic acid along with sulfite on these easily oxidized wines. If its done fermenting(checked by taking an sg reading a few days in a row) then sulfite it and let the aging begin.

I have topped off the carboy within an inch of the top a few days ago. It is still producing gas out the airlock, but at a pretty slow pace.

Actually I would rack this woine of the lees into a vessel with much ess head space as apple wine can oxidize very easily and thats why I use ascorbic acid along with sulfite on these easily oxidized wines. If its done fermenting(checked by taking an sg reading a few days in a row) then sulfite it and let the aging begin.

bingo! apple is easily oxidized. gotta keep it more protected. fast fermenting happens, but it can make the flavor less appealing. if it's dropping sg real fast, get it into lower temps, if possible.

Latest posts

Back