High Specific Gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
Hello Group,

I did a field blend yesterday of 60% Merlot, 20% Cab Sav and 20% Cab France. The grapes came from Paso Robles and are currently cold soaking. I just tested the OG and it is at 1.112, with a potential 16.2% ABV.

I am concerned this could be a little high. I do plan on processing this to be as full bodied as I can and already did a 12% soigné. Do you think I should dilute this a bit? I was planning on using RC 212, but fear I wont be able to dry it out all the way.

Joe

Everyone has their opinion on the issue, some don't mind the high ABV, I prefer lower ABV so I generally dilute the must with acidulated water accordingly. I thought the saignee is usually done after dilution, though I could be wrong, I'm not sure how much difference it makes either way. If you don't dilute, definetly use a yeast that can handle the potential alcohol.

The ABV is down to personal preference.

I personally wouldn't dilute strictly out of fear of a stuck fermentation.

Avante would plow through it - if you're in SLO county I could drop some off to you.

You might dilute the grapes 5% or 10%. If you do, dilute 5% and check SG. You don't that to overdo it.

Do you have the option of finding a 3rd grape with a lower brix? IMO that is a better solution, but may not be feasible.

If you're looking for yeast, Presque Isle has a yeast chart that may help.

Although I prefer wines around 12% ABV, I probably wouldn't dilute the juice. Both my Merlot & Zinfandel from last year came in north of 15% ABV, although neither tastes it, which surprised me. However, they're 25% stronger than a 12% ABV wine, and it was noticeable while conducting quality control testing.

* That's "tasting while racking", for those not familiar with advanced wine making terms .... ;)

I will probably dilute it tonight to bring it to 1.105 to 1.108. I am really against the idea of diluting but a small although noticeable amount of grapes were slightly on the raisiny side. So diluting may not effect the taste too much. I did read that Paso Robles does pick their grapes at peak ripeness to ensure better fruit flavors, but then that make stronger wines.

I plan on aging this long haul, fermenting at 86F and letting sit on skins for 20 days for a super full body and did a 10% whole cluster mix, so hopefully that will help balance the alcohol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back