High SG and Brix readings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amo

Junior
Reaction score
I made a gallon of Joes ancient orange mead yesterday and then took a SG and a Brix reading. The Brix reading was 31.2 and the SG was 1.32 Temp 87F and used Lalvin 71B yeast. This was all done after I stuffed the orange parts into the narrow neck of the gallon jug as directed. Now I know if everything is perfect (and nothing ever is) it is going to be a very sweet mead.
Can I add water to it to lower the sweetness and allow the yeast to work on a larger amount of must and get the sweetness down? Also as the fermentation has just started to work this morning can I syphon this gallon jug into a larger primary container, fish out the orange slices if I can and then add more water as adding more water into the gallon jug would cause it to overflow. I followed his recipe to the letter and the 3 lbs. honey was raw blueberry honey from a local bee keeper. Any suggestions to save this mead will be appreciated.
OK I made a mistake...My starting SG was 1.132 not 1.32. If it works out the wine will be a little sweet and around 16 to17% range. It is important to pay attention to math detail.

Last edited:
you can move the must to another container and add water since fermentation has started the resulting measurement of sg may be incorrect. in any event the 71b will ferment dry and you can back sweeten if desired.

Back