High P.A. cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoot

Junior
Reaction score
I have a carboy of cider fermenting. For kicks I decided to add enough sugar to the must to obtain a P.A. of 15%. I know its unlikely I can achieve 15% through fermentation so I'll have sugar in excess. When primary fermentation comes to end what S.G. can I expect when I take hydrometer readings?

Should I add something into the secondary fermenting carboy to keep any residual sugars from converting if I want the cider to maintain its sweetness?

If you use the right yeast, keep it a good steady temp, you can get there.

If I want to shut it down before it's completely dry what should I add to it after its racked?

Vodka. you cant stop active fermenting by adding stabilizer. But vodka will kill the yeast. But seriously sounds like you have changed your mind about strong cider so after it is done fermenting add some more cider to it and sweeten to taste. add sugar and cider after you stabilize. Most use sulfate and sobate to stabilize.

Last edited:
Slap me silly. I was just going to advise that you can indeed achieve 15%, just racked a 3 gal better bottle and I guarantee you it will hover around 15. Tasted good now, can hardly wait to see what patience will give me.

Sometimes you gotta be sure not to cross the line. We all know you are going to give up taste for alcohol. Not a fair comment. Please send all your strong wine to my POBox!!!!

By February we will have drank all of it you will most likely win some award for the most exciting wine of the winter.
ROTFLMFAO
Troy

I just dont understand why you think you want a high abv fruit wine or cidar, It will take forever for it to come around if it ever does and most likely wont especially with some delicate like apple. What yeast did you use as most have a 15-16% abv threshhold and will usually go beyond those instead of shutting down early when we want it to. Its "Murphy's Law", If you want it to stop early it usually wont but when you want it to finish very dry it typically dies with residual sugar.

The problem is I really don't know what I want. I made two batches of cider last year at 13 %. It was a little harsh but with a few ounces of concentrated apple juice per 16 oz glass it tasted fine to me.

I thought I'd try 15% this time around but after reading several posts on this site it seems like the finished product will come out tasting like paint thinner and even the addition of apple juice or sugar will not mellow it out much.

I just got through pressing 40 gallons cider using 30% granny smith 30% pink lady 20% braeburn and 20% fuji. I'd like to see how flavorful I can make a batch with no back sweetener. What is the threshold of P.A. I can shoot for without the finish product tasting like paint thinner?

I would never go any higher then the 13% youve already gone and personally I wouldnt even do that! I usually go 12% tops on anything other then a strong fruit wine like Black Currant or Blackberry.

I keep threatening to make rocket fuel, and the truth is Wade is right, if you wanna go above 13% on a "natural" fermentation, you really are giving up alot. I think in final conclusion..I may not make rocket fuel at all, but will take the same time, ingredients, and cost, and make a nice batch of apple wine instead, same work, and I will have a better idea of the results.

Troy

Smart move, then youll see what truly can be accomplished. You people who want to make rocket fuel get a still and make some real alc although it is illegal almost everywhere.

Kinda what I was thinking too Wade. Want "Boones Farm"? (hope we don't get sued), Make a 13% wine, sweeten it and add some brany or vodka, or even some cognac.

But we are talking about WINE here not distilling booze.

The wine Gods will be happier if you just try to make a nice wine, trying to change it into something it's not most likely will not end in a favorable result.

Be happy you have the knowledge and expertise to make a nice wine to enjoy.

Even though I inquired about making rocket fuel, the truth is, its a waste of time.

I don't think I want to make anything harder than 13%.

Troy

Can I salvage my 15% P.A. wine into something more flavorful by adding some unfermented must into the carboy now and getting it down to 11%? Its 5 days into the initial fermentation process and is probably less than half way dry.

Don't sweat it Skoot. Let it do its thing. It'll be fine. Lets worry about tommorrow when it comes. Noone said there was anythng wrong with your starting PA. Lets get you into the 1.000's and we can talk again.

It will be fine, guarantee you. Let it do its thing.

Don't start getting impatient now.

If you are in a position to do so, get another batch going now. than you will really be sweating it. YIKES, two batches at once!!

It'll be fine man, it really will:rdo
Troy

Last edited:
You are worrying about something that hasn't even grown yet! STOP! Allow it to go. You are worried about a fermentation that is only 5 days old!!!! Leave it alone. I heard staring at the bubbles can make you crossed eyed.

Skoot, you will be a full blown addict by the time you get the third one going. LOL. There is nothing fast about making wine. PERIOD. Just cool out, it'll be fine.

O.K. I'll let it do it's thing. I was thinking that maybe I can make adjustments to the sugar levels now at sg 1.070 or 10.6% PA but I'll take your advise and just let it run its course until it's dry. I'll then add some fresh must to it when I do my first rack (in about 2 weeks or so). Or should I just wait until its ready to drink and add the sulfate cider at that time?

About the acid levels, this batch (2:1) Braburn to Fuji has a ph of 3.69. The batch I will start tomorrow (3:3:2:2) granny/pink lady/braburn/fuji has a lower ph (3.47). I added a much higher percent of tart apples to this batch (60%). Will the higher acid content (lower ph) result in a better tasting finished product than wine made from sweeter desert apples?

Latest posts

Back