High Chardonnay PH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitched yeast on January 25 with this FWK. First rack to carboy on February 12. Although it has only been a little over two months, I decided to rack again to get it off of the fine lees which was pretty black from the charcoal powder addition ( my first with that). Checked the PH and it was 3.73. Temperature 57 F. KMeta dose at both rackings. Should I be concerned? The wine tasted really good and is crystal clear but that high number bothers me. Comments?

I'm quoting @NorCal from a recent post -- don't chase a number. IMO, anything between 2.9 and 3.8 is a good number -- IF the wine tastes good.

While whites will generally range between 3.1 and 3.5, some outside of the that norm and it's perfectly fine.

If you want to experiment with flavor, pour two 4 oz glasses and add a tiny pinch of tartaric to one, stir well, and taste both. If adding a bit of acid makes it taste better, then add a small amount to the carboy.

I have liquid tartaric acid in my chromatography kit. Is this what you mean or is it something that comes in powder form.

I have liquid tartaric acid in my chromatography kit. Is this what you mean or is it something that comes in powder form.
I don't know anything about the liquid tartaric that comes with a chromatography kit, although I suspect that you want to hang onto it for use with the kit. If you don't know the strength of the liquid, then don't use it in the wine.

I use powdered acid for all additions. I don't know the dosage off the top of my head, but if making any additions, uses no more than a quarter of a recommended dosage. As I'm fond of saying, it's easier to add more than to take some out.

I don't know anything about the liquid tartaric that comes with a chromatography kit, although I suspect that you want to hang onto it for use with the kit. If you don't know the strength of the liquid, then don't use it in the wine.

I use powdered acid for all additions. I don't know the dosage off the top of my head, but if making any additions, uses no more than a quarter of a recommended dosage. As I'm fond of saying, it's easier to add more than to take some out.
Is Cream of tartar what you mean.

Pitched yeast on January 25 with this FWK. First rack to carboy on February 12. Although it has only been a little over two months, I decided to rack again to get it off of the fine lees which was pretty black from the charcoal powder addition ( my first with that). Checked the PH and it was 3.73. Temperature 57 F. KMeta dose at both rackings. Should I be concerned? The wine tasted really good and is crystal clear but that high number bothers me. Comments?
let your taste buds be the judge

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Bottle it and be grateful for it just the way it is because you like it and that is what really matters.

Give it time to drop tartrates (e.g. in a fridge) if you are nervous and then taste it again off of the tartrates. It you still like it bottle it. If it tastes flat you can add malic acid, citric acid or even tartaric. If I had your wine and it tasted flat I would add citric acid which will give you a wine smell over time that you can't get from what it has which is tartaric and malic acid i.e. adding citric if you decide to gives you a much more complex smell. If you go this route don't overdose citric e.g. 1/4 tsp per Imperial gallon should be the limit.

Last edited:
Yeah. Tastes great. I’ll let it sit in bulk for another 9-12 months.
If you are prepared to wait that long then put it outside just above freezing or inside in a fridge (about 4 Celsius) to drop tartrates. If you put it outside cover the carboys with upside down punctured garbage bags to keep sunglight away from the wine and put alcohol e.g. vodka plus water in the airlocks so they don't freeze. It should take about 3 weeks for the tartrates to drop. You can stir it from the top with an upside down plastic or wooden chopstick or skinny spoon handle (wood, plastic or stainless steel only). The advantage of using a fridge is that you can break your batch into 6 bottle Imperial or 5 bottle US gallons and chill them one at a time if you don't have a spare fridge to put all the gallon jugs in at once after taking out the fridge racks. Good luck with your wine.

Latest posts

Back