High acid reduction?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update and need some direction again.....

My 6gal batch #1 has been at SG .992 for three consecutive days now so I"m ready to do the cold thing. Just 'how' do you do that as I've never done it before? I was simply going to put my racking cane in the primary and pump it out into 1 gallon bottles and then put them in my fridge for a couple days to let them separate. Then I was going to do the racking cane thing but only removing the clearer stuff on what I presume will be a lot of sediment on the bottom back to a glass carboy. Is that how's it's done? And once that's done, do I add minimal K-Meta based on volume and just let it sit in a carboy for my aging period?

I just love learning new stuff here. You all have been fantastic!
That works, cold as you can with out freezing. Maybe a couple weeks is better. When you take it out rack right away or some tartarut will start to reabsorb if wine warms up.

Update and need some direction again.....

My 6gal batch #1 has been at SG .992 for three consecutive days now so I"m ready to do the cold thing. Just 'how' do you do that as I've never done it before? I was simply going to put my racking cane in the primary and pump it out into 1 gallon bottles and then put them in my fridge for a couple days to let them separate. Then I was going to do the racking cane thing but only removing the clearer stuff on what I presume will be a lot of sediment on the bottom back to a glass carboy. Is that how's it's done? And once that's done, do I add minimal K-Meta based on volume and just let it sit in a carboy for my aging period?

I just love learning new stuff here. You all have been fantastic!

You understand what you are going to have to do, but don't worry about that second racking, the crystal that get released tend to stick pretty well to the bottom of the carboys and you won't suck them up. They will be a very thin layer as well. Well in your case it will be a bit thicker, since some of the lees will fall out as well.

Latest posts

Back