Hi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikal

Junior
Reaction score
My name is Mikal I found this forum though Facebook and I got into wine making through learning how to lacto-ferment things like kimchi, pickles and siracha after I thought I'd try my hand at making a simple Apple wine made with bread yeast that I saw on DIY fermentation on YouTube.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk

i haven’t done a bread yeast fermentation, what I hear is expect it to stop at eight percent alcohol. Last year I wound up with cider with native yeast colonizing the apple juice between day two and three of production, native yeast work.

Yeah, bread yeast is not too good, wine yeast is $1 for 5 gallons (use it all for less). Using less only creates problems, $1 to negate problems, priceless!

Hi Mikal, Welcome to this forum. I am familiar with the DIY Youtube channel but I gotta say that the fellow often chooses a harder route than a simpler one. If you live in an area where you can find pressed apple juice then your wine will be far more apple flavored than the recipe. Not certain but my guess is that it takes about 12 lbs or more of apples to extract 1 gallon of juice. DIY used - what? about 2 or 3 lbs of apples and then diluted the tea with about a gallon of water. So, his wine was lightly flavored water. If that's what you want - OK, but most seasoned wine makers will go to a market that sells non alcoholic cider (juice from pressed apples and will use that with added sugar to make a wine (hard cider can be made from pressed juice). You want to add enough table sugar to increase the gravity of the juice (the density) to about 1.090, so that will typically be about 1 lb of sugar to every gallon of juice. Any wine yeast (or even beer making yeast ) will work well but if you can find 71B that yeast will metabolize some of the malic acid in the apple juice and transform this into a smoother tasting acid called lactic acid. Apples have lots of pectins so the wine may be hazy even after months of aging. See if you can find pectic enzyme to help break down the pectins. Add this about 6 -12 hours BEFORE you add the yeast. and you are adding the enzyme and not pectin (You are not making jam, you are preventing jam from being made).
Good luck.

Welcome Mikal, I have only joined this forum a short while ago and have learned many helpful things from the experts here.

Back