Hi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgall

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I'm Farley new too winemaking. I had given to me a demijohn and 3 elderflower kits for Xmas, I went out and bought a hydrometer and a syphon and done the whole process in the demijohn I found it an easy way to start of and have just finished my last batch.

I went too my local home brew shop to buy a new kit but they didn't have any 6 bottle kits so I ended up buying a 30l starter kit and ended up talking to the shop owner. He was explaining to me that complete wine kits are a great and fast way to make wine but making it with your own stuff is better and allot cheaper.

So here I am asking what is a good and easy recipe to follow for my first big batch? I like rose and white wine not a lover of red.

Thanks Adrian

If you don't have real fruit, I like the frozen concentrate wines. They're good for the costs involved. I like Old Orchard Pomegranate / Blueberry. Recipes can be found on this site.

Thanks for the info pal, is now looking for cheap frozen blueberries, not easy lol

I didnt know there were even Elderflower kits!!! Welcome to our site!

Thanks, yea they sell the elderflower and berry kits in my local DIY store, "youngs"
Make the kits

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the blueberry, I use the frozen Wyman Wild Blueberries, they are small and pack a lot of flavor! It tastes really good too.

Welcome to Wine Making. I'll add, if you want to make wine from scratch one thing you should consider buying is a good pH meter. Even with a recipe there is no good way to get the acid and pH right without one. I know, more $$$ when does it stop, but I can tell you from experience it's one piece of equipment you will never regret buying, when it comes to wine making.

Oh, and by the way, the best fruit to make wine from is free fruit. Happy Wine Making!

Spring is coming up so there will be elderflowers around !!!!

Elderflower wine is one of my favorites and I never seem to make enough off it (last years 20 gallon is gone off course).

Here is the recipe, you almost cannot go wrong with it.
First the easiest way to harvest elderflowers:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/05/vlierbloemen-oogsten-elderflower.html

Next the recipe:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/05/vlierbloesemwijn-2-elderflowerwine-2.html

Luc

Welcome to the forum, Adrian.

Luc, twenty gallons? Wow!!! I would say you definitely like elderflower wine. I have never tried it, but now I really do want to try it. Thanks always for your contributions to the forum, Luc.

My favorite cheap wine for just social drinking is the old orchard cranberry I use 2 cans of cranberry and 1 can of concord grape, it makes a really smooth light red wine.

My favorite cheap wine for just social drinking is the old orchard cranberry I use 2 cans of cranberry and 1 can of concord grape, it makes a really smooth light red wine.

That does sound good. A nice summer wine.

Got a detailed recipe?

That does sound good. A nice summer wine.

Got a detailed recipe?

Cranberry Recipe

2 cans (11.5) frozen cranberry concentrate.
1 can (11.5) concord grape concentrate.
4 cups of sugar.
2 tsp acid blend.
1 tsp pectin enzyme.
1 tsp yeast nutrient.
1 Camden crushed.
water to make just over one gallon.
1 pkg yeast (Montrachet)

This makes 1 gallon, I usually start with a 1.090 to 1.095 sg on this recipe. You can work with it to your taste I always test the ph and adjust with acid blend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back