Hi Gang!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggerdan17

Self Made Thousandaire
Reaction score
This is a great site and there is a wealth of information to be soaked up from a complete newbie at wine making.

I,ve bought a rather inexpensive Wine Xpert Vintners Reserve Chilean Malbec 10 litre wine kit.After reading about all the info on kits i wish i had gone with the Selection International instead. Oh well , live and learn. Its been through its initial stage of rapid fermentation and i,ve just racked it into the glass carboy to let it finish fermenting.

My wife is glad i,ve found a new hobby ! She goes to the fabric shop to buy stuff for her quilts she makes and i go to the brew house to buy grape juice and wine making tools. :b

Welcome digger, if I were you Id go out and buy a real nice kit now and start it if you can but youll need another carboy. That will let this good kit age while you drink the early drinker. The bigger and better the kit the more it will need to age but be so worth it in the end. If you are looking for big old reds then grape skin kits are the way to go. If you like medium body kits then your choice is much easier and less expensive most of the time.

I just happen to have 2 glass carboys ....now i get to go down to the hobbybrew store and spend more money....:b

I,m interested in the kits with the grapeskins in them and i like the red wines the best. The hobby brew place has mostly wine Xpert kits , any recommendations on a particular Selection International kit?

I dont make Winexpert kits as they are notorious for having what s called KT(Kit Taste) which is a kind of sweet candy taste which sometimes goes away but I dont detect this taste in the RJ Spagnols kits and have better luck with the fining agents used with the RJ Spags kits.

This is a great site and there is a wealth of information to be soaked up from a complete newbie at wine making.

I,ve bought a rather inexpensive Wine Xpert Vintners Reserve Chilean Malbec 10 litre wine kit.After reading about all the info on kits i wish i had gone with the Selection International instead. Oh well , live and learn. Its been through its initial stage of rapid fermentation and i,ve just racked it into the glass carboy to let it finish fermenting.

My wife is glad i,ve found a new hobby ! She goes to the fabric shop to buy stuff for her quilts she makes and i go to the brew house to buy grape juice and wine making tools. :b
Get the selections next or a better kit and you WILL see and taste the difference between a entry kit and a one of better quality. Kind of like a $7 wine and a $15 bottle. Are you in Maryland?

BTW
Welcome to a great group where all your questions will be answered. :r

Welcome aboard. Look forward to hearing about your progress.

Get the selections next or a better kit and you WILL see and taste the difference between a entry kit and a one of better quality. Kind of like a $7 wine and a $15 bottle. Are you in Maryland?

I,m in Prince George British Columbia.

I,ll have a look around and see if i can find a good kit not made by Wine Xpert.

Oh I thought it was Prince George County in Maryland.
Again .. Welcome...
Let us know what kits are available in your area.

Hiya Dan,

Chilean Malbec is nice with pasta.. so all is not lost.. hehehehe

I'm here to lure you into making fruit wines from scratch instead..

Allie

Now Now
I make all kinds od wine. You should start to think "out of the box" OR rather into the box. LOL !
I will say thou that grape, fruit and 100% juice winemaking is alot more challanging than kits.

hehe Tom.. I have two kits waiting and nothing to ferment them in until the apple wine is done.

Allie

I,m in Prince George British Columbia.

I,ll have a look around and see if i can find a good kit not made by Wine Xpert.
If you find your wine to Terrace BC, there is a store there that sells RJ Spagnols kits. If you do drop in, tell Bob that cpfan sent you.

Steve

I would love to tackle a nice home made fruit wine but thought i would screw up the first batch of wine i made so i opted for a cheap kit. I,ll make a couple more kits and then when i,ve past the TEST i,ll dabble into the scary world of fruit and berry wines :)

Keep with the kits for a while and get used to what you need to do. If you can read and understand the directions you will make good wine. Just keep the sanitation up.
Remember the 3 "P's"
Patience
Patience
Patience

Latest posts

Back