hi from the philippines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icy

Junior
Reaction score
hi, im ICy. Im from the tropical country ... Philippines.

I made my first two bottles of
sweet wine last year, and just last week i opened my first bottle and served it to our guests. To my surprise they loved it.

My 2nd bottle is still not ready, hopefully soon.

I used our local fruit berries to make wine, turned out to be red wine.

I hope to make another batch, made from mangoes, banana, pineapple, apple, etc. But first i would like to learn from this forum
with wonderful wine makers.

With best regards,

Icy.

Okay, I give up what did you make? Im betting you have access to some awesome fruit over there!

:)Welcome, I hope you learn alot here, we all have. please tell us what you have made, and how you did it. Then tell us about all the "exoctic" fruits you have available. i think we would all be interested to hear about them.
Troy

:)i think we would all be interested to hear about them.
Troy

Hey !!!
Speak for yourself and not on my behalf !!!!

Here I am sitting shivering in a driveling rain in the cold with prices of Pineapples and Mango being sky high.

And here is this 'New kid on the block' who actually lives on a tropical Island with all the fruit for the picking...........

I am not interested: I envy him...........
Living in the Netherlands sometimes can be a pain..........

Now that is from my chest :D
Sorry Troy, I couldn't resist :p

Welcome.
We really are a bunch of nice and friendly people over here, trying to help eachother as good as possible.

So when you have any questions, do not hesitate and post them.
But make sure you give as much info as possible like SG, acidity, kit or fresh fruit, recipe etc etc etc that makes finding an answer easier.

Luc

Luc, when I seen his post I was thinking about his access to those neat fruits and new you'd be envious. Me too, even domestic fruits cost a fortune here in Alaska, so I share your envy. Interested to see what he makes none the less.
Take Care
Troy

hello again

Hello,

thank you for the warm welcome.
Yes, i do have access to a lot of tropical fruits. And a minor correction, im a "she" ;).

anyhow, iv'e only taken interest in wine making just last year. when we had our backyard filled with purple stains from the fruit "duhat".

I understand tropical fruits are a bit hard to find in some western countries. but also have wonderful fruits that cant be found here. so vice versa.:)

mangoes, yes we have a lot of them. and when i say a lot i mean a lot. everywhere you go, you see a small vendor selling mangoes, either riped, green and peeled and dipped in salt, or made into a jar fruit.
we have mangoes all year long. but this time of the year, mango prices are high up, it cost us $1 for a kilo. A bit expensive for us. But occasionally, youll find some stall who sell at a lower price.

as for pineapples, for your $1 youll get 3-4 pcs of big pineapples freshly harvested. its a pretty common fruit here.

we also have other fruits available seasonaly. my most favorite would be "durian", i dont know if you have heard or seen or smelled this fruit. but its not for everyone. some say it smells really bad, but the tastes is heavenly.
its creamy and you can make your blood pressure rise up if your not used to it.
other than durian, we have lanzones, rambotan, santol, chico, mangosteen, etc.

in the future, ill try to share some recipes i can find.

by the way, some of these fruits are available at the Filipino store. When i was in california, i saw the durian and santol in the frozen fruit section.

where did my post go?

hi. I made 2 reply posts yesterday. But it seems its nowhere here. What happened?

Where they links or pictures as you have to have 10 posts before they let these through. This is due to spammers.

Tropical Wine

Ate Icy, which part of Philipinnes you came from? I'm started my interest in wine making since our wine tour, specially whne i taste the ice wines and the fruit wines. Don't know how to start in making wine, we have a lot of tropical fruit for fruit wine. Can you help and guide me how to start making wine and where to find equipment and solution in making wines?:)

Tropical fruit wine

Hi Icy
I live in Belize on the island of Ambergris Caye and we have fairly good access to bananas, Mangos, Pineapple. Have you experimented with any combinations yet? I have a batch going of white grape juice concentrate with banana and mango and just transferred to the secondary. It's coming along nicely, just sediment that I haven't been able to clear (banana?).

I have also used the carissa / natal plum, but it is not working out so well (very bitter and cloudy).
Would love to hear from you!
-Betty

Betty ,

if the sediment is white, it's the banana.. just keep racking it.. it will clear on its own.

Allie

yes

Yes - the sediment is white - good to know it will clear!

The straining and filtering efforts panic me somewhat as I don't want to expose the wine to air... I have messed up several batches already (turns out our bottled water has high acid and the temperatures last summer climbed to 93 degrees (I now have solutions for these issues - thankfully).

Thanks for the tip and reassurance, Allie!

Latest posts

Back