Hi from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRANKC

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just started with the forum a few days ago. I made my first batch of wine about 15 years ago, stopped and started twice. I'm expecting to have a lot more time for the hobby now that retirement is near, so I'm busy refreshing my memory on a lot of stuff. The forum has been a big help and I thank you all for your willingness to share info.

With two friends, we have 150 gallons of Chardonnay in stainless steel tanks. We usually do a cold fermenting, lightly oaked style. On my own, I just started 18 gallons of Mosto Bello Brunello. That's my inspiration for getting more serious about the hobby. Brunello is one of my two favorite wines, Amarone being the other. Those wines deserve the best effort possible. I've always wanted to buy an oak barrel and figured that now's the time. There's a 13 gallon barrel on its way, and the wine should be ready for the barrel by the time it arrives. I'm using BM45 yeast to maximize the flavors of the fruit.

I would appreciate any input anyone can offer. This should be fun!

Frank

Welcome aboard Frank. I look forward to gleaning from your seasoned experience. Congratulations on your near retirement.

Frank,
Welcome aboard! It sounds like you have plenty of wine working along at the moment!
I can share your passion for Amarone, I have 12 gallons in progress..err....it will probably end up being 10 gallons by the time my wife and I are done "testing" it...lol
Brunello is on my list for next season as well.

Tom

That BM45 has been one of my favorites; haven't used it in years, though. If you use it, remember it requires a lot more nutrients than many other yeasts, so be careful to add them when required, else you can end up with the old rotten egg smell (H2S).

What yeast are you using for the Chardonnay? Do you plan to do any surlie and maybe batonnage on the chard? Some like that taste, others - not so much.

I'm using BM45 on the second batch of Amarone, I used Fermaid K split spread out over three applications, the SG is 1.000 as of this morning, time to rack it over to a carboy.

I'm using BM45 on the second batch of Amarone, I used Fermaid K split spread out over three applications, the SG is 1.000 as of this morning, time to rack it over to a carboy.

That BM45 is noted for Italian wines, especially sangioveses.
Just my opinion, Pumpkinman, but you are less likely to experience a stuck fermentation if you rack the wine to carboy a little sooner, say at an SG of 1.020. This way the yeast are still a little more active and have a ways to go.

Pumpkinman, I'm using the BM45 for my Brunello. Used the GoFerm and Fermaid also. It's the first time I'm using that yeast, so I read all I could on it. It seems that about six months out, the wine develops a gamey taste, which they say will disappear after a while. If you don't want to wait it out, just pack up that Amarone and send it to me!

Frank...LMAO! I can relate to researching every possible option and trying to select the best for what I am trying to make. I didn't notice a gamey taste at all, but then again, we absolutely love Amarone.
How about I email ya some...lo!
Robie, I agree 100%, last batch I racked the Amarone at 1.010, unfortunately yesterday was an unbelievably busy day, I didn't get a chance to play in my wine room...errr...home office.

Robie, is there any chance of negatively affecting the fermentation by racking early? I was always concerned about the lack of oxygen in the carboy.

We use Cote des Blanc for the Chardonnay. We find that it works well at the cooler temps (below 65F), ferments to dryness, and gives us great bouquet and flavor. We ferment allowing the lees to remain for about two months, stirring every two weeks. We feel that it lends a creaminess to the wine.

FRANKC said:
We ferment allowing the lees to remain for about two months, stirring every two weeks. We feel that it lends a creaminess to the wine.

I find that very interesting. I assume you mean lees in the secondary?

We ferment in stainless steel tanks. Once fermentation slows and SG drops, we place the floating heads. Then the batonnage begins a week or two later. Eventually we rack off the lees.

Back