Hi from Minneapolis, MN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100LL

Reaction score
been browsing through the forums, and it seemed like i could really get some useful information by being a real member. So here goes :)

just started on my first kit...a Vintners Reserve Gewurztraminer on 5/11

like it usually goes, i have learned much more AFTER i started than before, so it will be interesting to see how the whole process goes.

Welcome,
Here you will find ALL your answers
BTW Gewurztraminer is a great tasting wine

Welcome,

I"m from the twin cities also. Great location for winemaking. Northern Brewer is a great store on Grand avenue and Midwest Supplies is in MPLS. I got my feet wet with a similar kit last year. I did the VR Reisling but I think its a bit thin. The Gwurts is better I've heard. This is a very friendly forum with lots of good people to help you. If you need any advice please search for posts or ask.
MN-winer

Welcome to the forum.

We definitely have a "colorful bunch" around here :)

Good luck and happy vinting!

hey MN-Winer, Midwest is where i got all my equipment from since some friends of mine got their start there. i've also heard that some of the cheaper kits tend to turn out a bit on the weak side. i hope that's not the case.
the loft in my house is starting to smell like fermentation, which is nice :)

Yes - you will learn to like the smell of active fermentation!

Midwest is a good place to go. I got most of my first things from them but I am now going to try a cellar craft kit or two and the prices for kits are comparable at Northern, so I go there now. Its also closer to where I live.

If you are in a loft that is nice and I imagine you could make wine all year. I make my wine in the basement and its pretty cool down there so I don't make wine for about 5 months or so.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a relative newbe here, also. Really good people here. Not aloof like some other forums. I find them ready and willing to help, rather than criticize.

100LL? Hmmm? Is your nome de plume a reference to another hobby/addiction?

100LL? Hmmm? Is your nome de plume a reference to another hobby/addiction?

it is. i used to have my private pilot, single engine rating a few years ago. have not flown in some time due to my budget. i do work in the aerospace field however, so hopefully i will be able to get back into flying some day

Welcome .lol thats what I'm sipping on right now ( I have to work in the morning ) but mine is the WE selection original series . Like it's been said already a great site for us beginners to learn and ask whatever question you want & not feel stupid .

its nice to see everyone willing to help and share ideas, because im sure that for the first few times i will have some questions that im sure have been answered hundreds of times....so ill try to make use of the search feature first

Hi There! I am also from Minneapolis area but am in the Air Force posted overseas at the moment. I was home for Easter visiting my son. I love this forum. The advice from some of the senior members saved my entire brew of Elderberry wine last year. They are really great. Welcome!

Hi There! I am also from Minneapolis area but am in the Air Force posted overseas at the moment. I was home for Easter visiting my son. I love this forum. The advice from some of the senior members saved my entire brew of Elderberry wine last year. They are really great. Welcome!

i have already had great advice given from this group, a good choice i think.

On a side note, being armed forces day...thanks for your service :b

it is. i used to have my private pilot, single engine rating a few years ago. have not flown in some time due to my budget. i do work in the aerospace field however, so hopefully i will be able to get back into flying some day

Yep. I know the feeling. I'm a PP SEL IA, myself. Two kids in college helped me to break the addiction a few years ago. Wine making is just as addictive, but a whole lot safer. Enjoy!

Welcome 100LL, I hope you enjoy your stay here and am glad you found us. As far as the smaller kits go the whites can be a bit thinner but not always an no where near what the difference is with a red kit so keep that in mind. If you also like reds please do your self the favor and start a red as soon as you feel comfortable cause it will need lots of aging unlike the whites. Typically a red will need at least 8 months min. when you get into the 15 liter and bigger kits and will really improve with around 18 months. Again, glad to have you here and please feel free to browse the whole site and ask the question if you are ever unsure!

Welcome 100LL, I hope you enjoy your stay here and am glad you found us. As far as the smaller kits go the whites can be a bit thinner but not always an no where near what the difference is with a red kit so keep that in mind. If you also like reds please do your self the favor and start a red as soon as you feel comfortable cause it will need lots of aging unlike the whites. Typically a red will need at least 8 months min. when you get into the 15 liter and bigger kits and will really improve with around 18 months. Again, glad to have you here and please feel free to browse the whole site and ask the question if you are ever unsure!

i have noticed that people have said that they do a lot more aging with the red kits than whites. does this hold true for the "28 day kits" that are sold by vintners reserve and such as well....i have been told that for those kits you have to add extra potassium metabisulphate in order to allow for the longer aging periods...or was this not required?

Yep. I know the feeling. I'm a PP SEL IA, myself. Two kids in college helped me to break the addiction a few years ago. Wine making is just as addictive, but a whole lot safer. Enjoy!

for me it was just the opposite, i started college to be a commercial pilot, but once i switched majors into air traffic control there was not reason to continue funding a very expensive hobby. i have my sights set on perhaps purchasing a simple Cub down the road to fly for a reasonable price again

for me it was just the opposite, i started college to be a commercial pilot, but once i switched majors into air traffic control there was not reason to continue funding a very expensive hobby. i have my sights set on perhaps purchasing a simple Cub down the road to fly for a reasonable price again

I was/am contemplating an LSA for tooling around in CAVU. Big benefit for old folks, like me, is the driver's license requirement.

I was/am contemplating an LSA for tooling around in CAVU. Big benefit for old folks, like me, is the driver's license requirement.

that would be nice, i think it will be quite some time however before i have a large enough disposable income to spend on flying :(

for now ill stick with wine....at the very least i wont remember the other hobbies i left behind

Latest posts

Back