Hi from Michigan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julz

Newbie Wine Maker
Reaction score
Hi,
Im Julie from Michigan. Im just getting started in winemaking. Seems like this is a great place to start. Still looking for a place to get quality supplies at reasonable prices. :)

Hey Julie, I live in Port Huron, about 60 miles north of Detroit there are a couple of stores up here. It is alittle bit of a drive, but if you cant find anything closer I can let you know were there are.

Hi Julie, Welcome to the group. I buy quite a bit of my supplies from the shop in Dundee. They are friendly people.

I also buy what I can't get there from Quality Wine and Ale Supply in Elkart, IN. Also good people to deal with.
Dave

Julie:

Don't know if you visit Windsor Ontario very often but there are several Home Brew Shops there. Unfortunately, they may not be too "home wine-maker friendly", ie may not carry a lot of supplies and equipment, as they will be primarily Ferment on Premises oriented. Some do, some don't.

Steve

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies. I did check out the store in Dundee--very nice little shop. I bought a carboy and plastic bucket to get started as well as a few other supplies.
My parents live in Imlay City so maybe I will check the Port Huron shop out too.
Thanks!;)

Welcome!
At the winery where I work, there are a lot of 3 gallon pails if you ever stop in. Just ask for Vern. We got Red Raspberry seedless puree (frozen) a few times from the west coast that we made a Raspberry Wine, and I managed to get handles for all those buckets. We cleaned and stacked them all. I think there are still a few hundred of them. The frozen puree was 28# per bucket and that happened to be the way they packaged them. We would have preferred 55 gallon drums, but ended up with these. We've also been using some nice 5 gallon pails that Honey came in from PA for our Spiced Peach & Honey wine. Ususally use 30 gallons of honey in the blend, which is 6 of those pails. We wash those out and keep them for our winemaking needs in the cellar. Funny to see someone talk about buying a plastic pail.

Absolutely. Dutch Gold Honey, in Lancaster PA. 717-393-1716 Jill Clark (ext 312) is a contact person there, as well as Monica Edwards. Great Alfalfa Honey! We make up the wine with 46 gallons of Peach Concentrate, 10 gal of Apricot Concentrate, 30 gallons of honey, some sugar vanilla extract Peach flavoring from Weber Flavors in Chicago, IL, and also Cinnamon flavoring from the same place. Ususally make up 1543 gallons of finished product and people really like it.

AKsarben,
That does sound like some good wine.

Now all I have to do is break it down to 6 gal size.:d

Back