HI From Indiana USA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Courtney and I am really excited about learning how to make my own wine. I have done some research, but that is about it. I generally understand the process but I still have those "I don't get it" moments as well.

Everyone seems to be very nice and have an abundance of knowledge when it comes to the process and every thing involved....even exploding wine.

So a little about myself. I just moved in with my boyfriend of 2 years. I love to drink wine. I am still in school studying accounting and loving it, but i still need something to do for me with out my bf standing right there. I love to ride, motorcycle's that is! I love to chat and talk about anything and I am SUPER excited about making my first wine.

I am always free and open to advise and information.

Thanks All!!

:n Courtney

Welcome!
What do you plan on making 1st?
Do you have a place where you can get wine kits and equipment.
etc...
If not I reccomend http://www.finevinewines.com/
Best selection on the net.

Hello and welcome Courtney,

are you looking at making kits.. or fruit wines or both?

Allie

I would like to do both, eventually. Though I have heard kits are easier, so I am thinking of starting with one of those first. Do you think that would be a wise choice?

I do have a local place also that sells kits, grapes and equipment.

Depends on how soon you want to sample your wine and how much equipment you have.

Fruit wines will need about a year in the bottle before drinking. Kit wines, you can start drinking immediately if it's a fruit wine type kit ( orchard breezin.. summer mist ) they are usually a peach chardonnay or green apple reisling etc lots of diffent flavours to choose from. If you do a white wine kit, you can drink that about 2 to 3 months after bottling. With a red kit you'd need to think about leaving it at least 6 months before drinking. These are recommended guides though, many people make kits and drink them a lot earlier.

Allie

Thanks.... Actually I have no equipement as of the moment... I am in the process of moving and want to wait until I get everything in the new place.

Now i am going to be in an apartment, do you think that will be enough room?? We are also going to have a garage, though I do not think it is heated or insulated.

I'm not sure about apartment living.. am on a farm myself.

Depends on whether you mind your guests seeing large containers of wine bubbling around the place hehehe

You'll need to get an indication of the average temperature in the garage, once you've moved into the apartment. It is possibly perfect for cellaring.

Allie

I never thought about that...that is a great idea.... :D I am sure most of my guests wont mind.
Thanks for the advise and tips thought :D

I would like to do both, eventually. Though I have heard kits are easier, so I am thinking of starting with one of those first. Do you think that would be a wise choice?

I do have a local place also that sells kits, grapes and equipment.

Start with a kit then. The lower end kits can bottle in 6-8 weeks. remember you get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back