HI from HI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauijoe

Reaction score
New to the forum...thanks for allowing me to join in. Have made wines in the past, been away for quite awhile... presently challenging the traditional cold fermentation of making traditional Sake.... Glad I'm here..hope to learn more thanks!

Hi and welcome.
Which recipe for Sake are you using?

Last edited:
Well welcome aboard Mauijoe. There's a name from the past. How you doing? I remember you from FVW forum when I was starting out. Glad you came to our little neck of the world. Look forward to reading your posts.

New to the forum...thanks for allowing me to join in. Have made wines in the past, been away for quite awhile... presently challenging the traditional cold fermentation of making traditional Sake.... Glad I'm here..hope to learn more thanks!

Welcome.
Tell us a little of what frementing / aging

Waves hello and welcome..

are you having to start from scratch with equipment?.. Or do you have it all tucked away in a dusty corner?

Allie

Welcome, I have never tried making Saki but would like to try it sometime.

Aloha and thank you once again. I am in great hopes that this thread will finally post. I have been having problems not being able to do so once I click the "submit new thread." If this works, then I'll get in to what I'm fermenting, etc.

Well, I presently have 6-gal. aging mango, 5-gal. aging blueberry, 3-gal. aging lychee, 5-gal. (secondary) strawberry guava, 4-gal. fermenting sake, and numerous 1-gal. 2-4 year (aging) fruit wines.

As for the sake, I'm attempting to make authentic seishu (refined Japanese sake) using the kan-zukuri (cold-brewed) method. More info can be obtained at www.taylor-meadak.org regarding recipes, method/descriptions of different types of sake etc.

Last edited:
Do you make just fruit wines?
I just bottled a Orange Mango 6 gal batch.

I have made a few grape wines from kits and canned grapes. Here in Hawaii it gets rather expensive to bring in fresh (frozen packed) items.

I have made a few grape wines from kits and canned grapes. Here in Hawaii it gets rather expensive to bring in fresh (frozen packed) items.

everything there is high priced. shipping isn't cheap to the middle of the pacific.

i would love to try rhombuton wine. those crazy looking things actually taste pretty good. makes you wonder if they are an alien lifeform or a fruit?

rambutons.jpg

or maybe crunchberry wine? i like trying the odd ones :) if they don't work out so well, mix or pour out.

I have seen those in open markets but have never eaten one. Someone said that they are similiar in taste to the lychee. Should be a good flavored wine...they are not cheap..haven't seen any trees with them here. I believe that they are imported.

I have seen those in open markets but have never eaten one. Someone said that they are similiar in taste to the lychee. Should be a good flavored wine...they are not cheap..haven't seen any trees with them here. I believe that they are imported.

they taste similar to concord grapes. i got them from a farmers market in Kauai, so i think they grow there. i could ask my sister. Not cheap though. would be a small batch for sure.

Latest posts

Back