Hi from FL!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MushCreek

Junior
Reaction score
Hey- I'm new to the forum, but not to wine making. I've been 'inactive' for a few years, but decided to get back in to it. I just kicked off a small 1 gallon batch of elderberry since I was given a big bag of fresh elderberries!

My name is Jay, I'm 56, married, and have a boy in grad school. I'm a tool maker by trade, and we live in west central FL. We are preparing to build a house in upstate SC, where we will have room to grow grapes and other fermentables!

In addition to beer and wine making, I've got a ton of other hobbies, from music to old tractors, and many things in between. Looking forward to sharing recipes and stories!

Welcome back to this great hobby. I dont know how long you have been away from this hobby but there are a few things that have been changing over the years for the better like yeast strains and knowledge. Glad to have you aboard.

It's been probably 20 years since my last batch of wine! I prefer a scientific approach to wine making, rather than the old 'throw it in a jug and see what happens' approach. I usually make fruit wines, as I prefer to use fresh ingredients, and wine grapes aren't too common in FL. I like dry wines as well, and it's hard to find dry fruit wines- most are too sweet for my tastes.

Glad to hear youre not the throw in a bucket blindly kind of person.

Hi Jay! A scientific approach is the way to go. There is no sense in wasting time and money on 5 gallons of fruity vinegar.

Welcome from another West Central Floridian! The best part about not using the "tried and not so true" throw it in the bucket method is that you stand a better chance of repeating a good drink.

Latest posts

Back