Hi From Chicago

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I'm clueless about Regina Juice. Never heard of it until your post.

Had my 1st glass of wine made from Regina juice when I was 12 yrs old! And have been helping/making/and drinking ever since.
Handful of people here buy the Regina juice buckets. And They are no different than any other fresh juice pail so any problems won't be brand specific.

This is the first time I’m using them. Can you walk me through the process

Ok. I can help. But there many ways to explain it, depending on how much you are already familiar with making wine and what kind of equipment you've got over there.
-There's very detailed and descriptive instructions you could go by.
-There's also a ridiculously simple process that isn't really suggested- but the way my family used to make wine from juice for many years. Which we all drank and all enjoyed.
-or something in the middle??
Need some background info though

But it can be as simple as
1.sprinkling on your yeast to the surface of the juice. (Will be fizzing in about a day or so)
2. About a week later when the activity has stopped you transfer the wine to your glass vessel- leaving behind all the heavy sediment in the bottom of the bucket.
3. More sediment will continue to drop out. You'll have to "rack" the wine off that sediment soon. Even as early as 3 days later to a month later. (2 vessels you'd siphon from one to the other. If you only have 1 vessel siphon into a bucket, clean the vessel, then siphon back into it.
4. Repeat that "racking process every 3-4 months.
5. They would bottle a bucket purchased in September any time from March to the next September. Would just simply taste to see if ready.
Still some co2 fizz? Wait longer
Tasting way too young ? Wait longer.

That was THIER way. Which is fine and can make good wine. To keep it simple I'd only add a couple things in there.
1. Buy a hydrometer. Like $5. And test your juice's sugar level. And then testing during fermentation you'll know exactly when it's ready to move to the glass vessel and not just "waiting for the fizzing to stop for a couple days"
2. Potassium metabisulfite. 99% of home winemakers use it. Protects the wine from bacteria. Also at higher rates seconds as a sanitizer for all your equipment. Everything that touches your wine should be sanitized
3. Topping up. As you rack and leave behind the sediment your wine level will be getting lower and lower from the top. This is a bad thing as oxygen can ruin your wine after it's fermented. So you'll want to 'top up'. And add some cheap store bought wine to keep the level up. (Water can be used too, but a like wine is preferred by most). 4. "During"'fermentation oxygen is encouraged and helps the yeast along. Stirring the wine with a large sanitized spoon once the fermentation is under way is also beneficial. Even if just once a day.

I usually but the kits. Where I bought this juice they told me I didn’t need any yeast.

I usually but the kits. Where I bought this juice they told me I didn’t need any yeast.

You do kits ? Lol. Sorry for that unnecessary post then. It Sounded as if you needed some general direction.
But actually the juice can be a lot less complicated than kits. No timelines. No clearing agents. Or sorbate. Or degassing. You make the schedule.
I have always been under the impression that there is NO yeast added to these Regina buckets. Unlike some others I've heard who have yeast already in it ready to take off as soon as temps get up.
But I have always added my own commercial yeast. Without ever adding any So2 first either. The natural yeast in these buckets tho are very much there. And I know some who have let them ferment this way. Which you could do if you wanted. It's just a little more risky with all the unknown
So if you wait too long and the temps get into the mid 60°s your juice can start to show signs of activity. Either add your yeast right away, or add some so2 to kill it off, wait a day and then add your yeast.

So you think buying the juice this way is easier and better then with the kits. This my first time trying the juice this way.

So you think buying the juice this way is easier and better then with the kits. This my first time trying the juice this way.

Depends on many factors. I think it can be "easier" since it's as simple as yeast-transfer-Kmeta-transfer ....bottle. Some people might take comfort in having instructions with to work off in a kit though.
Quality is also relative. Some prefer fresh juice to kits and vice versa. I haven't made enough kits to say for sure. But the cool thing about kits is the selection of tons of varietals from tons of places.
The biggest pro for kits I think is the ability to make wine at any time of the year- not just a 2 or 3 week window in the fall. (Southern hemisphere juice is also available at their harvest timeline in the spring. I did my 1st Chilean this past May and I'm quite happy with how it's coming Along. Though the same can be said for my 1st high end kit I did his year)

Yeah I’m trying it this time to see how it comes out. Thank so much for all your help. Wish me luck

Latest posts

Back