Hi from Bolivia need advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am so glad to have found this site. I am currently making wines from different fruits including guava and blackberry. I have encountered a set back with my blackberry wine. The Bolivian health department came back with a negative analysis which states the following.

1) alcoholic grade 32 Gay Lussac at 20 c. (10-14 allowed)
2) Methanol 1300 mg/l (300 mg/l maximum allowed)

Question:

Is it possible to reach 32 % with a non distilled non fortified wine?
How do I control the Methanol content?

Wine recipe:
blackberries
sugar
water
earthen jars

I bring to a boil blackberries and water to cover. After a week, I strain, and continue to add suger at regular intervals for 6 months in open earthen jars until it acheives the desired taste. Very old school I know, but that is how the native americans do it around here whose recipe I follow.

Any advice would be great! I am so excited to be here thnk you in advance

I don't believe you can get to 32% naturally with any yeast that makes a drinkable wine. I have been able to get to 23%. Still a long way off.

Hi Alex,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I agree with mmadmikes1 I don't beleive you can reach that ABV without fortifiing the wine.

Welcome aboard!!!

I agree, I don't think you can get to 32% without fortification.

My wife's grandfather makes wine using wild yeast - the highest he got his was about 25%.

Wasn't very good either.

thank you for confirming my suspicions

I assume that the lab made a mistake and I need an independent lab to counter their results. Thank you for the prompt input. I was almost embarrassed to ask such a newbie question. Larry, my farm is a very short distance as a crow flies to Potosi, but by road thats another story. Feel free to ask any Bolivia questions you might have as I have a special deal with the government where I get a percent of every tourist dollar raised. No in all seriousness, I would love to return the favor.

Latest posts

Back