Hi everyone from Tonawanda NY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
I have always wanted to make my own wine. I roast my own coffee beans, have a 86 Fiero GT for a toy, I am a DIYer around the house, veggie garden in the summer, 3 apple trees, couple white seedless grapes going, blueberries growing. 6 various hops plants growing. Lots of dandelions in the lawn in the spring. :D
I planted raspberries a couple of years back and this year was able to freeze around 10 lbs of them. So off to the winemaking supply store and bought myself a 1 gallon kit. The recipe book and instructions were a little vague so I do an internet search and find this forum. I've been lurking and looking at the raspberry threads for awhile now. I then did my first batch. First lesson learned was 3 lbs of just thawed out raspberries are darn cold while you are squishing them out by hand. I'll let them warm up a little bit more on the next batch. I also had a hard time getting it started but finally worked that out. (by searching here). Found out that the recipe I'm using leaves my gallon a little short of a full gallon when I put the wine in the secondary fermenter. So from that I put it in a 3 liter bottle to finish, but had a little (few,ok four, glasses) left over that I put in the fridge. It's a beautiful color, just a little cloudy. It was not bad at all, a little yeasty but tasty. Yes, I know, be patient, let it finish. I know this, but it was the first wine I ever made and I was really curious if it was really wine. And it was. Cool.
I'm not usually this long winded.
Larry

First of all welcome Larry! Dont think tasting along the way is bad either. You have to start to understand things some how, just dont drink too much. So what else are you thinking about making now that your first one is this far along?

Welcome Larry. Glad to hear your 1 st batch was to your liking already because if you leave it for awhile it will only get better. Did you sulfite it yet and do you plan on sweetening it caue if so it will need sorbate also.

First of all welcome Larry! Dont think tasting along the way is bad either. You have to start to understand things some how, just dont drink too much. So what else are you thinking about making now that your first one is this far along?

I'll be making 2 more batches of the raspberry. My wife wants the space back from the freezer. I think in the spring I want to try dandelion next.
Larry

Welcome Larry. Glad to hear your 1 st batch was to your liking already because if you leave it for awhile it will only get better. Did you sulfite it yet and do you plan on sweetening it caue if so it will need sorbate also.

I haven't added sulfite or sorbate yet. And I will be sweetening it.

Hi Joe, Thanks. It's gotta be even colder than here in your neck of the woods.
Larry

Here is a pic of my backyard. I took it Sunday.

WinterJan20101.jpg

After you have uploaded a pic like you did, right click on it, them click on properties. Highlight and copy the URL. When you make a post you will see a yellow swuare with a small mountain in it. Click on it then paste your URL. Waalaa, one posted pic.

Looks like it could have cleared more, more like a sangria but bet it tastes damn good!!!!!!!

Great looking wine. Looks like a glass of Hawaian Punch :sm

Glad my instructions were able to help. When are ready to try other juices. Walkers is just down the road from you.

Great looking wine. Looks like a glass of Hawaian Punch :sm

Glad my instructions were able to help. When are ready to try other juices. Walkers is just down the road from you.

It did have some punch to it. :h

What is Walkers? I grow enough stuff in my backyard that I may never need to purchase juice to make my wines. After I finish using up my frozen raspberries my next wine will be from all those dandelions in my yard I have been fighting with for years. And I did plant 25 strawberry plants last year - I'll have to see how they produce. I wonder what beet or carrot wine tastes like?

Larry I have purchased a fair amount from them. Stock up on some primary buckets and take them with you. they will pour right into your containers. If you use better bottles they offer those also at great prices just for their customers buying juice. You can also ask for a sample to taste before you buy it.

Latest posts

Back