Hi everybody!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryfrench

Junior
Reaction score
Been lurking for awhile. There is some valuable info in these pages, thank you!

I started experimenting in 2005, first with a batch of "Wonder Wine", then with a ready to order kit from an online store. The Wonder Wine was not so wonderful, in fact after choking down a swallow or two I just dumped it. The kit not much better, but it's actually pretty good now. I guess it just needed a few years.

Since then I've tried a couple different juice recipes with surprisingly good results, so I'm encouraged to try more. I look forward to discussing it with you.

Thanks!

Folks used to say that it's a Wonder that it might be wine. I'm surprised that the product is still available.

Which kit did you buy? Do you recall what exactly what was wrong with the results? But wines (especially reds) need some time.

Steve

Folks used to say that it's a Wonder that it might be wine. I'm surprised that the product is still available.

Heh- it seemed more like jello mix to me. I got it from a weird little beer & wine supply/antique shop. I succeeded in making alcohol, but it tasted more like cough medicine and had a weird fetus/brain type growth floating in the middle. I wouldn't have tried it but I was bullied into it.

Which kit did you buy? Do you recall what exactly what was wrong with the results? But wines (especially reds) need some time.

Steve

It was a Grapestompers basic red that came with their beginners kit. A Cabernet/Merlot blend.

When I tried it 3 months after bottling, it had that "feet" taste to it. I thought it may have been a sanitation problem at first because I had some trouble with the primary fermenter leaking and had to stick my arm in there. Some friends tried it and liked it, and I always figured I'd have a big party and make Sangria out of it but never got around to it. So my 20 bottles ended up in the basement.

Fast forward to now and it's actually pretty good. I can still taste a hint of the feet, but at this point I think it's psychological. Everyone else that tries it just assumes it's store-bought until I start gloating.

At the moment, Grapestompers lists a choice of Heron Bay kits (but not a Cab/Merlot).

Not sure what you mean by a "feet" taste. But we all have different taste buds.

Steve

Latest posts

Back