Hi! Apple wine help for beginner please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry-bon

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping you are all well. I joined this forum as there was a link from a page on how to make apple wine & figured it would be great to look up expert advice. Sorry in advance for length of post! I’ve never made wine before.
I’m following a good clear article, however it didn’t mention the amount of water but I worked that out from other recipes.
I am in the process! I think I’ve done lots of screw ups so far. Basically started to panic because my apples were turning brown even though I was dropping them in water. And then I was like a headless chicken. Also i was using 4 x drawstring mesh bags, just the super market veg bags but changed my mind and ended up taking ages to undo knots and tip fruit directly in bucket.
I’ve done all necessary sterilising etc. Got all I need I think!
Anyway so far I’ve done 4kg of apples (cookers). 4.5 ltrs water. Half was cold and some was near boiling. (Mistake no.1).
Dissolved 500g dark brown sugar (hope that wasn’t a mess up). In some of hot water.
First question (so far) do I need more sugar? Another 500g (1lb)?
Added a broken cinnamon stick & 6oz chopped raisins & juice+rind of 1 lemon.
Leaving it over night until tomorrow when I will add yeast etc.
Thanks in advance, Cherry-Bon
(I’ve read through the many posts on apple wine & im sure I’m probably repeating questions. But it’s all clear as mud to me.)

Apples will brown without a little bit of acid, like lemon juice.
Secondly, it really doesn’t matter how much water you add. What matters is the specific gravity. A hydrometer measures the sugar content. You should aim for 1.090, that will produce a decent alcohol level in the wine.

Ps I know I’ve put lemon in too soon, is it going to screw it all up? Why didn’t I check my notes before I chucked it in….arrgh

Apples will brown without a little bit of acid, like lemon juice.
Secondly, it really doesn’t matter how much water you add. What matters is the specific gravity. A hydrometer measures the sugar content. You should aim for 1.090, that will produce a decent alcohol level in the wine.
Thank you. Only thing I don’t have is a hydrometer, I will get one if this works out. As it is clearly important : )

Welcome to WMT!
I'm guessing you don't have a hydrometer? VERY useful, inexpensive, seriously consider getting one!
Most fruit wines generally get around 2 pounds of sugar. So, yes, more sugar.
Brown sugar (or dark brown) can be wonderful but it can easily overpower other flavors. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. When I use it it's around 25% or so of the sugar.

Good luck. Keep asking questions!!!!!!!!

Welcome to WMT!
I'm guessing you don't have a hydrometer? VERY useful, inexpensive, seriously consider getting one!
Most fruit wines generally get around 2 pounds of sugar. So, yes, more sugar.
Brown sugar (or dark brown) can be wonderful but it can easily overpower other flavors. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. When I use it it's around 25% or so of the sugar.

Good luck. Keep asking questions!!!!!!!!
Oh thank you so much.
Ok so I started it nearly 6 hrs ago. Is it ok if I just mix another pound or 1/2 pound of sugar in some boiled water (when it is warm not boiling) and add it in to my mix?
Thanks I’m advance

Oh thank you so much.
Ok so I started it nearly 6 hrs ago. Is it ok if I just mix another pound or 1/2 pound of sugar in some boiled water (when it is warm not boiling) and add it in to my mix?
Thanks I’m advance
Yes!
If you add another pound, with your original pound and the sugar from the raisins, your ABV should be around 11%+ when done - assuming it ferments all the way.

Using only 1 pound would get you an ABV a little over 5% which may not protect against bacteria and other nasties.

Sugar (and fruit) can be added any time during the initial fermentation. All it would probably do is extend the fermentation time a bit.

Thanks a lot. I bit the bullet and dissolved a pound in hot water and added it. I was just following a recipe but there’s so many different ideas out there it gets very confusing x

Latest posts

Back