Hi and Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drizztkun

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, Been reading this forum for about a month now and you seem like a bunch of really nice people.

A little about myself, I am from Montreal, Quebec and i recently received the old brewing equipement from friends of my wife since she told them i wanted to get into this hobby for a while and never got around it. So I received 2 primary fermenter and 2 plastic carboy, off then i went to a local shop to grab the rest and ended up that my parent decided to take the bill to offer me the stuff for Xmas. So i got most of all i need to start making wine, i chosed a winexpert pinot noir. (From what i read from Wade seems it's a little thin but i guess we'll see))

Now had to wait xmas to receive the stuff to start, and then decided to wait for that friend to come home to help me out start it proper. (which im still waiting) So right after xmas i went back and decided to grab stuff to make beer with the old stuff since i also receive brand new fermanter and a glass carboy which i'll keep for the wine.

I tried the Boron golden canadian ale. so followed instruction to a T but my SG was higher then what it should have been at. 1.062, but maybe since the temp was a little cool when i started it explain the higher number? my basement is usually at 64F(18c) so i used the belt on the primary fermenter, and then when i transfered to the carboy i kept the belt on until 3 days ago after reading that in the carboy the temp should be lower.

now it's been 2 weeks its in the carboy and i took my reading at 1.010. and decided to taste a sample out of curiosity. it does taste like beer but i find it a lot watery? so dunno what to do at this point, i was going to check my reading again tomorow and if it was the same bottle it but now i wonder why it's so watered down tasting.

Ok i'll stop here as myself i really dont like wall of text eheh
If there's any extra details that can help you help me well let me know!
Steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to a great hobby.

I suspect that you mean a Baron's golden canadian ale. This is a beer kit from Winexpert.

It's about 10 years since I made a Baron's kit, but I just bought one before Xmas that I'll be starting soon. I have however been making Brewers Spring kits which are VERY similar to Barons kits.

I don't know about a watery taste at that point. Yes the 1.062 starting sg seems a bit high, did you add any extra sugar? Like the pouch of corn sugar included with that kit for priming? I don't think the temp would have made that much difference. And 1.010 is just a touch low to finish (I would have guessed 1.012).

Personally I would continue as you suggested, and prime & bottle the beer.

Steve

Yes i do mean Baron sorry :)

I did pour all the pouches that came with it as per instruction, i was under the impression that i add to supply the sugar for priming, as the guy at the local shop had hinted since he said id be needing the sugar he sold me.

i might also not be 100% accurate in my reading either not really easy to figure out exactly at which number im at.

Hi Steve, this is Steve, Glad to have you here. The temps will have nothing to do with the SG/OG. As noted, it sounds like you added the priming sugar which is used at the end to carbonate the beer. The beer will have a better taste/flavor after it is carbonated. It shouldn't taste as watery then. You will need to get some more corn sugar or DME to prime the bottles with. If you are kegging, you won't need this.

A friend of mine owes a FOP and he makes the winexpert selec Pinot Noir as a 5 1/2 gallon batch and ends up with a nice 5 gallon carboy toped off to age. Said it is nice that way

Well i've just checked again the instruction and no where it states to keep any package for the end, and that the priming sugar should be bought seperatly.

So i guess i'll see later

I bought yester 46x500ml bottle that come with the caps like Grolsh beer, should have asked how much they where first though, kinda jumped at the ~$120 at the cash register for empty bottles ;)

Tonight i was at a party and it was all winexpert wine, i hope it's because those wine where all too young, because i didnt really like them quite thin and the island mist tasted a lot like corn syrup. but what we had was from 3 weeks to 2 months old.

with my beer tasting like beer flavored water im a bit afraid i guess

Welcome aboard Steve. We look forward to hearing from you. Don't worry about the "wall of text" we're use to Steve's on here.:):):):):):):)

Yeah seems Steve's will take over soon

edit: i realised i should have merge both post, i'll try not to do multiple post in a row from now on. Since it even annoys me when other do it lol

Steve/drizztkun:

As I said it's several years (2003-2004?) since I made a Barons kit. I just opened the one in my storage room and I was quite surprised/disappointed to find that there is no priming sugar in the kit. I guess Winexpert stopped putting it in these kits as a cost saving measure at some point.

Steve

Yeah seems Steve's will take over soon

edit: i realised i should have merge both post, i'll try not to do multiple post in a row from now on. Since it even annoys me when other do it lol

Steve, make as many posts as it takes to get your answer. Thats why we are here, to walk you through any issues you may be having. We're glad you're here and enjoy hearing from you.

I haven't done any beer so I can't be of any help there, but..........

my name is..............

wait for it.........

Steve!!! lol

Welcome!

Well all the steve's and the others. Beer has been bottled. I guess i'll have to work a bit on my technic of bottling tough ;) an extra pair of hand could also have been usefull. Still it was fun. now gotta wait a month or 2 and see if i have beer or big bottles of water with a flavor of beer LOL

Latest posts

Back