Hey new people!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardC

Reaction score
I'm Caribbean based and didn't grow up tasting wine at all. ( 43yo) This journey was started late last year, for the purpose of saving money. 12 beers cost 'X' but, with fruit and sugar, I can make 5x the amount of wine, with a higher alcohol content for the same $$ AND occupy my racing mind at the same time.. WHY NOT?

Currently, the challenges revolve around avoiding H2S and deciding to make a lower ABV wine as opposed to going all out till the yeastie babies, suffer and die. I'm still learning balance and figuring out the subtle flavours and smells that people talk about. ( Amazingly, I can not pick up the 'yeast smell' that friends mention.Haha) . I'm also slowly learning the 'patience' to age wines properly.

I appreciate the friendly, 'small town' nature of this forum, and am happy to help out if ever possible ( because learning is so much easier with assistance.)

* we make wine at 11% ABV because alcohol is a preservative.

If I was producing a low alcohol I would, 1 ) sterile filter like commercial sangria, or 2) make a lower alcohol sangria by mixing with juice as I am drinking it, or 3) keep it in a refrigerator and expect a shorter shelf life similar to beer.

* H2S is suggestive of a fast fermentation at a warm temperature (30C ?) which is stressing the yeast, look at nutrients as Fermaid.
Some yeast are known to have issues ex. Montrachet from RedStar

Last edited:
Yes Rice guy. Fermentation temperatures are higher than recommended here, even with the AC on. Lol. Thorough oygenation is something ive

Yes Rice guy. Fermentation temperatures are higher than recommended here, even with the AC on. Lol. Thorough oygenation is something ive

You may want to look on the web for how to make a swamp cooler, also called an evaporative cooler to try to keep your ferment temps down closer to the expected temps. 30 C (86F) is getting close to the max temp of many yeasts. You might have to build an enclosed area to put your ferments in, then cool that some extra. Exceeding the temp of the yeasts can lead to off odors and tastes.

Latest posts

Back